Thread: TLP installed but does not appear (that I can see)

Beans

TLP installed but does not appear (that I can see)

I read online (https://www.howtogeek.com/444121/wha...available-now/ under the sub-topic What Didn't Make the Cut) about something called TLP which definitely sounded to me like a "nice to have"...but even though I installed it (per instructions) it doesn't show up in the menu as an app. Is it something that just works in the background? With the statement "TLP provides a wide range of settings for your computer’s subsystems." that sounded to me like something quite user-configurable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: TLP installed but does not appear (that I can see)

From the TLP package description:

TLP is a pure command line tool with automated background tasks, it does
    not contain a GUI.
    Try:
    Code:
    man tlp
    Proceed carefully. Another bit of the package description:

... can enable or disable bluetooth, WiFi and WWAN radio devices upon system
    startup.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    From the TLP package description:

Try:
    Code:
    man tlp
    Proceed carefully. Another bit of the package description:
    Thanks, @coffeecat! You say "proceed carefully"...is that advice to be wary of the tool? I was going by the fact that (reportedly) it had been considered by the Ubuntu team as a "built in" to 19.10 but, ultimately, not added.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have no experience of tlp. My "proceed carefully" was inspired by thinking of something that could disable wifi or other services on system startup. Unintentionally misconfiguring command line utilities is always a possibility.

Have fun!
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.