Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: important operative systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

important operative systems.

if one was to write a blog or something like that pointing at the 5 most important OS in opensource what would that be ?

not the "10 best linux for beginners " or "five best OS for pen testing " or " 3 most popular linux distros outhere " but 5 historical important operative systems related to open source.

Beans

Re: important operative systems.

After BSD, MINIX and Linux, my list is short. MIT X/Windows gave *nix systems a powerful graphical interface. Apple chose the Mach kernel developed at Carnegie-Mellon as the basis for Mac OSX. MINIX was encumbered with proprietary features for many years, then became open-source after the release of Linux and FreeBSD.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; January 15th, 2020 at 06:22 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

links to historical facts please ?

and thanks for your for your answer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

www.google.com

Find it all there. People aren't going to do your research for you.

Beans

Somewhere near the top one would need to mention Lindows which later became Linspire/Freespire. AFAIK that was the first time anyone really tried to make a desktop Linux OS truly compete with Windows. It really didn't gain much traction but I found the effort to be worthy of some praise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros...ndows.com,_Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Cornerstone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freespire

I actually used Freespire up until late 2007 at which time I switched to Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10). I've recently been playing with QT based distros/desktops because GNOME has just made a total mess of GTK and GVFS. In all fairness the problems I've encountered are minuscule, but I'm getting old and picky. The only GTK based OS I've tried that seems to have worked around most of those problems is Linux Mint Cinnamon version but I have other problems with Mint in general. Sorry to get sidetracked on one of my favorite rants but until Unity 8 becomes somewhat "stable" I'm pretty much stuck with either LXQT or KDE and I recently tried Q4OS Trinity version which is a continuation of KDE3 and quite similar to the desktop offered by Linspire back in the day.

Anyway I'm thinking largely about historical impact - however large or small that might have been. The Lindows project started in 2001. Slackware and Debian both began in 1993 - and both survive until this day. I don't think I could do a "five most important" list. I think it would have to be expanded based on actual historical importance. Honestly Google's Chrome OS has to be towards the end of the list if listed purely by timeline, but it's historical importance is undeniable. And there are different groups of OS - some tailored specifically for use as a live CD/USB, others tailored for older hardware, etc, etc.

Two additional "huge events" shaping the open source community were the changes from KDE3 to KDE4 and more recently GNOME2 to GNOME3. The prior only resulted in the creation of the Trinity DE but the latter resulted in the creation of MATE as well as many variations of GNOME3 tweaked in numerous configurations. So maybe begin with an outline breaking down historical importance in categories? #1 of course being historical timeline but #2 being historical importance (either negative or positive which can sometimes be in the eye of the beholder). But also there need to be categories for longevity and popularity, and pure FOSS vs "not-so-pure" where most of us live.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; January 16th, 2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Oops! Needed to correct a date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

React OS is an interesting reverse engineering attempt.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was thinking about writing something about the following systems.

xerox alto -> apple . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J33pVRdxWbw

qdos ->ms-dos -> windows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIK-C6dGks

UNIX including solaris BSD and other variants + c language and java language unix wars tcp/ip stack and OSI layer.

linux kernel -> open source movement GNU/liux .

I am not sure I want to include MINIX in this list or what other OS I would write about. I do own the book operating systems designs and implementation with the CD included.

my research has been very UNIXcentric but there has to be some system that could be interesting to write about pre UNIX . or something like the AmigaOS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_music_software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i was always impressed with lean code and what Elite game could to on 48kB memory.

a good start would then also be the OS on the first computers and developing the first OS.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

If you're considering systems other than PCs, IBM System/360 was perhaps the most important mainframe operating system.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

my research has been focusing on UNIX mostly , due to the fact that I use *nix systems myself and all my books are about unix minix or bsd . its going to take some time before I get done with this project but I am working on several blog posts I need to edit a little before I publish them .

its winter so I tend to get bored with just sitting inside all day long so I might as well write something about something that has my interest. its also a very educational experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast