Thread: Need Help with using Proton on Steam (Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms)

Beans

Question Need Help with using Proton on Steam (Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms)

I'm running ubuntu 19.10 on a new Dell laptop. Specs are:

15.6" 1080P Anti-Glare IPS Display
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700U 2.3 GHz (4 GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache)
    AMD VEGA 10 Graphics
    16GB (4GBx2) DDR4 2333 MHz Ram
    256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

I'm completely new to Linux but I got everything running okay including Steam. However, I'm having a difficult time trying to get my first game running using Proton. According to the Proton site, the game runs flawless:
    https://www.protondb.com/app/627690

Nothing seems to happen when attempting to launch the game from Steam. What steps do I need to take to get this running?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Need Help with using Proton on Steam (Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms)

you need to install it using proton. if it's a steam game you need to enable steam play.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...-play-on-linux
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Need Help with using Proton on Steam (Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms)

Right-click the file in your library, then select Properties. Paste this into the Launch Options:
    Code:
    PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
    This works for a raft of games.

This does assume that you have enabled Steam Play. Go to Steam/Settings. Open the Steam Play tab and click "Enable Steam Play for supported titles," AND "Enable Steam Play for all other titles." You'll have to exit and restart Steam, and, using that start option, a very large number of Windows games are playable.

DO check https://www.protondb.com to see if the game will run, or how the user got the game running, or if the game simply is borked and you should avoid the hassle of purchasing, then having to refund it.

I have the same game installed, and, with that start option, it runs perfectly.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; January 15th, 2020 at 05:43 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I already had Steam Play installed and everything running normally but the game would not launch after installing. Nothing would appear on the screen either. A friend recommended I just install Pop OS and I didn't have any problems running the game right away. Clearly something was missing in the Ubuntu install preventing me from getting it to work.