Thread: Wireless adapter driver installation

Hybrid View

Beans

Wireless adapter driver installation

Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu (version 18.04, I believe) on a new computer. I did it as a single boot installation to overwrite what was on the computer previously. After doing this, I'm unable to connect to wireless internet. From looking around online, I believe that the issue is that the driver for the wireless card on my computer (I believe Realtek RTL8821CE) was overwriten or otherwise erased. I've looked online for a few different approaches to solve this, but have been unable to find one that works so far, as I get some error messages when I attempt to solve the issue but I don't understand what the error messages mean.

I'm still relatively new to Ubuntu, but am trying to learn what I can, and would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wireless adapter driver installation

Beans

Thank you for replying. I went to that link and followed the steps, however I got some error messages and it doesn't appear to have worked. The first issue that I ran into was, for the part of the link where it says "Scroll down to line 152 and change the line...", when I scrolled down to that line in the nano makefile screen, I didn't see the text that was listed out, but instead saw something similar yet different. I made the prescribed change anyways though, and then continued with the other instructions, but it didn't work out. Below are the results from the terminal window when I was going through this part. I see that there are "errors" listed, but I don't know what these errors mean (my apologies if the below is an incorrect way to load terminal window information into a post).

parker@parker-HP-All-in-One-24-f0xx:~/Downloads$ cd rtl8821ce
    parker@parker-HP-All-in-One-24-f0xx:~/Downloads/rtl8821ce$ nano Makefile
    parker@parker-HP-All-in-One-24-f0xx:~/Downloads/rtl8821ce$ nano Makefile
    parker@parker-HP-All-in-One-24-f0xx:~/Downloads/rtl8821ce$ make
    make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.15.0-74-generic/build M=/home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce modules
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-74-generic'
    /home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce/Makefile:2157: home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce/hal/phydm/phydm.mk: No such file or directory
    /home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce/Makefile:2166: home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce/rtl8821c.mk: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce/rtl8821c.mk'. Stop.
    Makefile:1580: recipe for target '_module_/home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce' failed
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/parker/Downloads/rtl8821ce] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-74-generic'
    Makefile:2237: recipe for target 'modules' failed
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    parker@parker-HP-All-in-One-24-f0xx:~/Downloads/rtl8821ce$ sudo make install
    [sudo] password for parker:
    install -p -m 644 8821ce.ko /lib/modules/4.15.0-74-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    install: cannot stat '8821ce.ko': No such file or directory
    Makefile:2243: recipe for target 'install' failed
    make: *** [install] Error 1
    parker@parker-HP-All-in-One-24-f0xx:~/Downloads/rtl8821ce$ sudo modprobe 8821ce
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert '8821ce': Required key not available

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Disable Secure Boot in BIOS/UEFI settings, download and install https://launchpad.net/~canonical-hwe...buntu1_all.deb
    Reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

There is also ndiswrapper, which allows the Windows driver to be used by selecting the .INFO file from the driver folder, and worked every time for me a decade ago, before the vast majority of wireless drivers were included in the Linux kernel. Ndiswrapper is highly recommended by myself.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's no need for ndiswrapper when there are native drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And I just discovered I have the exact same one in a slim HP notebook, but running 19.10.

All I had to do was
    Code:
    sudo apt install rtl8821ce-dkms
    to install the missing driver.

Beans

Everyone, thanks for the help with this. Post #4 above ended up fixing the issue for me. Last question: I had to disable the secure boot as a part of that step. Am I correct in thinking that now that I've installed the driver, I can re-enable the secure boot? Or will that somehow interfere with the driver that I've installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pbcrow1 View Post
    Everyone, thanks for the help with this. Post #4 above ended up fixing the issue for me. Last question: I had to disable the secure boot as a part of that step. Am I correct in thinking that now that I've installed the driver, I can re-enable the secure boot? Or will that somehow interfere with the driver that I've installed?
    No, you're incorrect. Secure Boot prevents the drivers from loading.