Thread: BTRFS compression

Hybrid View

Beans

BTRFS compression

Hello,

My laptop has a 64GB eMMC drive with no room for upgrading. I am using BTRFS on Ubuntu 19.10 so I can compress the disk.

So far, I have noticed that you have to manually do
    Code:
    sudo btrfs filesystem defragment -c / -r
    to compress the disk. This means that as files change I have to re-run this command to compress files and save space. In addition, I have noticed that in some cases files can become larger! Is there a way to have the compression run automatically, and also only take effect on files which will benefit from compression?

Beans

Re: BTRFS compression

I would get a large Class 10 SD card, plug it in and use it as the main HDD.

Beans

Unfortunately not possible as the SD card reader does not work and at the moment I have no money for a new machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've never used btrfs, but I doubt you'll gain much from compression on filesystem level.

Plain text files are highly compressible, often to around 15% of their original size. However, they are so small that this doesn't matter on any drive larger than 1GB. Media files can fill a 64GB drive, but they are already compressed, so further compression will yield nothing. Then there are some very inefficient file formats, like computer-generated specimens of human-readable files (xml, postscript) or large databases in plain text, but they are better handled by compression on a file level. Overflowing log files should be dealt with by eliminating the source or repeating messages.

My guess is that over 80% of your disk space is taken by files that won't benefit from further compression. Can you move some media files to an external drive?