Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing ubuntu from usb

Beans

Re: Installing ubuntu from usb

One other related question - Why is installing from a usb drive superior to installing from a DVD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Carr View Post
    One other related question - Why is installing from a usb drive superior to installing from a DVD?
    First of all, optical media is de facto obsolete now.

Optical media is slow and comparatively expensive in the long run. Much slower burning & much slower reading.
    Also prone to errors that once burned to WORM (write one read many) media that is a loss.
    Any modern PC is designed to boot and install from USB; Optical drives are becoming a rarity.

Do you need more reasons?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

It's not. The result will be the same.

One can also install a minimal text-only Ubuntu from a CD and add all remaining packages from the repository later. Same result in the end.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

[A] Evolution

Here is a shot of the second computer I worked with. The Elliott 903.
    Back then, programs were created on paper tape and patches were manually spliced into the paper tape.
    See on that page at bottom the 18bit console panel.
    Code was written by keyboard in octal.

Today we are moving to SSD.

Beans

Here is a shot of the second computer I worked with. The Elliott 903.
    Back then, programs were created on paper tape and patches were manually spliced into the paper tape.
    See on that page at bottom the 18bit console panel.
    Code was written by keyboard in octal.
    You must be even older than I am. The first computer I worked on was an NCR mainframe. We wrote out all the code on paper coding form, then gave them to the keypunch ladies (and they were always women, the programmers were all men). They punched out the cards and then we fed them into the computer. Night operators fed in the programmers work at night, because the computer was only used for production work during the day.

Beans

Ignore this post. How do I delete a post?
    Last edited by Tom_Carr; January 19th, 2020 at 08:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

You must be even older than I am. The first computer I worked on was an NCR mainframe. We wrote out all the code on paper coding form, then gave them to the keypunch ladies (and they were always women, the programmers were all men). They punched out the cards and then we fed them into the computer. Night operators fed in the programmers work at night, because the computer was only used for production work during the day.
    Similar to me. During my studies, I made a small program in Algol, that was given to keypunch ladies amd then fed into a big main-frame computer shared between the defence department and the college. Need I say that debugging was very slow. After that experience I said that I will never work with computers. And here I am

Ignore this post. How do I delete a post?
    You can report it (with the 'Report Post' button in the bottom left corner) and a moderator can delete it.

Beans

I would like to download the current version of ubuntu 20.04 and make a bootable usb drive with it. I know 20.04 is in beta, but I would like to play with it.
    I can't find anywhere to download it. I went here:

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

But they only have 18.04 and 19.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think that the exact model of the 10 year old Acer needs to be cited. Also USB port spec. 32bit or 64bit architectore? Then google usually unearths a tutorial. I have seen several. Search through the sticky threads on using old systems.

Also to zero in on Acer, use the Advanced Search in this forum using Acer as one keyword. You can also search by author.

[Later edit] UEFI was not around 10 years ago.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discus...-boot-from-usb

This answer relates to an earlier post above which apparently has been deleted.

Incidentally here is another reason for dropping DVD. You can subsititute DVD for a second HDD or SSD in a caddy. This avoids sharing with Windows.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; January 19th, 2020 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added link to revamping old systems

Beans
    Hidden!

I would like to download the current version of ubuntu 20.04 and make a bootable usb drive with it. I know 20.04 is in beta, but I would like to play with it.
    I can't find anywhere to download it. I went here:

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

But they only have 18.04 and 19.10.
    Download the daily iso file from this link

zsync is a nice tool, that you might install and use (instead of regular http downloading).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast