Thread: Audacious is a brilliant audio player ... Everyone should give it a try

Beans
    Hidden!

Audacious is a brilliant audio player ... Everyone should give it a try

Audacious is just awesome. The most striking feature is it can remember the exact track last played among several tracks and that too with the exact time it was played up to. Install it and you will love it.
    MANJARO KDE
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Audacious is a brilliant audio player ... Everyone should give it a try

I been using audacity for many years. due to its lightweight nature as a part of a recording studio set up. Ardour is more powerful but if one just needs to edit a few files , like samples audacity does a good job. I never liked to use it for audio recording however. some do use it to record multi tracks because its easy to work with but I prefer in all honesty as good digital hard disc recorder and from that to transfer files to the computer to edit and mix.

I used sonar cubase logic pro 8 and Ardour as DAW but audacity I used a lot to create samples and edit files with before loading them into Ardour (when on ubuntu studio).

one neat thing with audacity as I remember playing around with is the option to create your own plugins using the nyquist language. its based on lisp and actually the first attempts to learn programming I ever did because I wanted to create my own plug ins and sounds.

I did not use audacity for a couple of years because I don't have my recording studio set up anymore. I sold 64 channel mixer and most of my instruments and only kept a bare minimum just in case I ever get into recording again.

My old powermac which I used to record on using logic is also dead and I really don't want to bother setting up new studio because I will never get anywhere with it anyway other than its fun to record stuff. not so fun when you have to buy drums several guitars and mics and bass guitar and learn to play all instruments yourself which was what I did,.

a simple set up would be lap-top zoom h1n for recording and sound card and Audacity + Ardour and perhaps use Hydrogen as drums , but as said I really don't want to record anymore.

but yeah Audacity is a good program. many people uses it because its not too overly complicated and it works.

Beans
    Hidden!

@wolftrax
    Audacity
    is an audio editor. Audacious is an audio player. There is some confusion here.
    MANJARO KDE
    Ram 4GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yeah i misread the name. I have cataract so once in a while I cant read stuff

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
    yeah i misread the name. I have cataract so once in a while I cant read stuff
    No problem.
    MANJARO KDE
    Ram 4GB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i use qmmp. it's simple, qt based and easy to read.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

I was always partial to clementine . Those Rain and make it so extras are really great . sometimes I just put the Rain on and let it ride as ambient background noise.

I have my Laptop out to 3.5mm to RCA which goes in to an Optimus 31-2030 10 band per channel EQ out to an Optimus STA-3190 100 x 4 receiver out to 2 Bose 201 Series 3 surround speaks and 2 Bic America RTR-EV15 Towers with 15" drivers .

Really a great rig I think . Powered by Clementine . I have an ol pioneer 25 disk changer too but I hardly ever use it . Clementine gets most of the airplay .
    HP 17byxxxxx Laptop 8th Gen i5-8250u
    8gb ram , 16gb intel optane
    Ubuntu Studio 19.04
    Intel UHD 620 graphics

Beans

Re: Clementine is a brilliant audio player ... Everyone should give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by gh0zt362 View Post
    I was always partial to clementine . Those Rain and make it so extras are really great . sometimes I just put the Rain on and let it ride as ambient background noise.

I have my Laptop out to 3.5mm to RCA which goes in to an Optimus 31-2030 10 band per channel EQ out to an Optimus STA-3190 100 x 4 receiver out to 2 Bose 201 Series 3 surround speaks and 2 Bic America RTR-EV15 Towers with 15" drivers .

Really a great rig I think . Powered by Clementine . I have an ol pioneer 25 disk changer too but I hardly ever use it . Clementine gets most of the airplay .
    Agree on this. Clementine is really good. It used to or still is compatible with apple devices too which is handy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yes - 4.4 yrs of using Ub the audio player that I use after numerous tries, is Audacious.
    When I do an install, Rhythmbox is one of the first apps I remove.