Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get Ubuntu to boot live from disk on older laptop

Beans

Can't get Ubuntu to boot live from disk on older laptop

I Have a old Gateway 9550 that came with windows 98SE. I tried burning the iso for Ubuntu 16.04 in both 32 and 64 as that meets the system requirements but nether will boot on startup. The only thing that will boot live is BT3 that was included when I bought the laptop. it refuses to run ubuntu 16.04 or any other OS like haiku etc. No hardrive at the moment as the machine didn't like the 100Gb I put in. I checked and it's burned correctly with all the files. Any ideas? Again BT3 boots live no issues. Bios is set to boot from the dvd drive first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't get Ubuntu to boot live from disk on older laptop

I seriously doubt that something of the Windows 98 era supports any current Linux distro. And certainly not 64'bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

You could try Antix as an educational project but you will not get any real use out of a Pentium 3.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    You could try Antix as an educational project but you will not get any real use out of a Pentium 3.
    I will take a look and see if the machine will play nice. I also got Lubuntu 18.04 32'bit to try also along with the 16.04 powerpc image for the mac powerbook G4 as that ones giving me crap also claiming no files that can be read by the OS.

Beans
    Distro

A Powerpc ISO is made for the Powerpc processor. It would surprise me if it worked on a Pentium 3.

If you want a text-only environment there are many options, by the way.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

The current i386 ISOs require a 686 class cpu. I suspect you're dealing with a 586 class cpu only, which the linux kernel will not boot.

Ubuntu follows debian's standard of treating all of i386, i486, i586 & i686 cpu (or all of x86 32-bit) as i386 so the real limitation necessary isn't immediately apparent. But Ubuntu's kernel is easily detected, and it has the same restrictions as the linux kernel itself has, so for 18.04 LTS, the default ISOs use the 4.15 kernel so use that to look up minimum specifications, for 18.04.2 the 4.18 kernel is used so look up that etc...

For your type of CPU, you may boot up Ubuntu 10.04 LTS probably (I recall it running on pentium II processors), but I doubt you'll get anything later running (Ubuntu 11.04 wouldn't run on pII/III as I recall; or if it did at beginning of cycle, during the 11.04 cycle a change occurred that created issues for cpus that ancient... It could also be my memory is hazy & it was a different cycle

You didn't provide specs of CPU, but I suspect it's the classification of 386/486/586/686 used by intel/amd/kernel that is your issue, and you're trying to run 686 code on a lower grade of x86 cpu. Some of this wording could be less than ideal, sorry I'm not fact checking

Beans
    Distro

A Pentium 3 is part of the i686 family / P6 architecture so no problem with kernel support.

Beans

Processor is a Intel P3 1.066Ghz. 512 MB ram 30GB hardrive. Laptop is a gateway solo 9550
    Last edited by lexmarks567; January 15th, 2020 at 03:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lexmarks567 View Post
    Processor is a Intel P3 1.066Ghz. 512 MB ram 30GB hardrive. Laptop is a gateway solo 9550
    Not even the current Lubuntu will work acceptably in such ancient hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Lubuntu has deviated quite a bit from its 'light' roots. For a real light distro Antix is one of the options as mentioned above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast