Thread: Opera 65.x plays YouTube videos erratically.

Beans

Opera 65.x plays YouTube videos erratically.

I have Opera 65.0.3467.69 for Linux installed. which is the latest level/vrsn... but none of the YouTube 'live' videos ever played. Regular YouTube videos would operate erratically... even with 800,000 bytes of Ram still available (as reported by free -k command).

The fix... or actually the workaround is to swap the Opera file: libffmpeg.so with the Chromium one.

Opera directory is: usr/lib/X86_64-linux-gnu/opera
    - visible if you do a 'sudo caja'.

Chromium directory is at: /usr/lib/chromium-browser/

I found the solution here: https://forums.opera.com/topic/27463...x86_64-xfce/15

Last edited by DanPerecky; January 12th, 2020 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Opera 65.x plays YouTube videos erratically.

Health warning. Please do not do this:

Quote Originally Posted by DanPerecky View Post
    visible if you do a 'sudo caja'.
    from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo :

You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as root. Using sudo with graphical apps has the potential to corrupt your environment by allowing root to take ownership of and/or change permissions on critical files that you must own. The forums frequently see panicked requests for help from users who can no longer log in after running graphical applications under sudo.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Coffeecat...

OK... Thanks for the warning...

So how would you suggest that we access this directory... What is the safe way to do this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by DanPerecky View Post
    Coffeecat...

OK... Thanks for the warning...

So how would you suggest that we access this directory... What is the safe way to do this?

IF you use "sudo" use the "-H" switch; from man sudo....
    Code:
         -H, --set-home
                     Request that the security policy set the HOME environment vari‐
                     able to the home directory specified by the target user's pass‐
                     word database entry.  Depending on the policy, this may be the
                     default behavior.
    ... this will protect you from the damage of root taking over your user environment.

For running graphical apps with root I use "pkexec" here. I am not sure what the latest Ubuntu main release is using, I am running Ubuntu Mate 18.