Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Broadcom driver after new Ubuntu Budgie install

Beans

Re: Question about Broadcom driver after new Ubuntu Budgie install

Hey, @chili555, FWIW (I got a case of the upgrade itchies and, hey, y'know, foolin' around with installs and partitions and such was why I bought the used ThinkPad...) I installed Ubuntu Budgie 19.10 last night and when I got to the page where it asked if I wanted to install both updates and 3rd-party software (like drivers!) I specifically *didn't* tick the 3rd-party box. And when the install was done, I right-clicked on the wi-fi applet in the panel to select Connection Information and there it shows brcmsmac as the driver! So...no installation of bcmwl-kernel-source along the way somewhere somehow. At the same time, however, I also did not go to the Drivers section of Getting Started and run that...because you told me that tool would happily install the wrong driver.

And, yeah, I then manually enabled access to 3rd-party software when I installed Vivaldi and when I enabled backports repository...but that's confining that permission to specific cases, not giving blanket permission

In the world of auto racing (where I'm a fan, not a participant) a well-known bit of wisdom in setting up a car for a particular track is "Never change more than one thing at a time" because otherwise you'll never know which change brought what result. And, so....I violated that, because I a) opted out of 3rd-party software and b) also didn't run the driver update. But at least I came away with the correct driver installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

select Connection Information and there it shows brcmsmac as the driver!
    Correct.
    "Never change more than one thing at a time"
    Also correct.

I assume that your wireless is working properly now. I wouldn't change a thing.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Correct.Also correct.

I assume that your wireless is working properly now. I wouldn't change a thing.
    It seems to be fine. The DL speeds I measured last night, though erratic (thanks, TDS), were not all that much slower than what I measured through my PC desktop via Ookla.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123