Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing firefox tabs

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

changing firefox tabs

i would like to change the color of which tab is the currently viewed tab in firefox because when i have a lot of small tabs which is often the case for me i find it hard to see which tab i am currently at. if an extension exists to do this, i'd like one that can give another color to the previously viewed tab so i can go back quickly. even better would be a (fading) rainbow of colors for a few previous tabs, like red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet. how can i do something like this? the current method is just too hard for my age old eyes to see very well.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Re: changing firefox tabs

I have not used them myself, but do remember reading about a few extensions for tab management. A google search for 'firefox tab management' should point you in the right direction.

Beans

Or you could set up a userChrome.css file.

Code:
    @namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* red background on the active tab */
    tab.tabbrowser-tab hbox.tab-content[selected=true] {
      background-color:red !important;
    }
    Copy and paste this into an editor and save as userChrome.css in ~/.mozilla/firefox/your_profile_directory_here/chrome/ (replace the red part).
    The browser reads userChrome.css when it starts, so a restart of the browser should be necessary. To find the right selector to change other parts of the browser use the Browser-Tools from Extras->Web-Developer.

Holger

Beans
    Distro

i added the file and restarted Firefox. there is no change. all the tabs are still the same one shade of gray.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

That's strange. With these settings in ~/.mozilla/firefox/39z18i5t.default/chrome/userChrome.css I get what you can see in the attached image.

Holger

Firefox-red-tab.png

Beans

Just changing the Firefox theme might help. Many show a difference in the active tab that makes it easy to pick out. See attached screenshot of Adwaita Arc Firefox theme.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Just changing the Firefox theme might help. Many show a difference in the active tab that makes it easy to pick out. See attached screenshot of Adwaita Arc Firefox theme.
    how do i change theme? i see nothing for this in preferences. is Adwaita Arc included?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    how do i change theme? i see nothing for this in preferences. is Adwaita Arc included?
    Open the Firefox Menu (at far right of address bar), then
    Customize > Themes > Get More Themes.
    On next screen, there is a search box at the top if you know the name (or part of it), or you can browse the categories.

I think you need to briefly install a theme to see what it really looks like. If you don't like it, click Remove and try another. You can switch between installed themes from the Add-ons Manager:
    Tools > Add-Ons

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: changing firefox tabs

I like your idea of changing tab colors. Let me know if you find one.
    I tried all of the other Themes did not care for any of them. Firefox even has Stylish - custom themes. It is a Firefox Extension with over 1000 themes. That is all I could find.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/stylish/

Go to ad-on's or ctl+shift+A
    Last edited by bernard010; January 14th, 2020 at 12:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Open the Firefox Menu (at far right of address bar), then
    Customize > Themes > Get More Themes.
    On next screen, there is a search box at the top if you know the name (or part of it), or you can browse the categories.
    i go to Customize but there is no Themes there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast