Thread: Broken laptop screen and vkeyboard to Desktop monitor and usb keyboard?

Beans

Broken laptop screen and vkeyboard to Desktop monitor and usb keyboard?

Hello i need to somehow mirror the laptop screen which is broken to a Desktop screen. Problem is when i plug in a my Desktop screen it goes right to Second monitor. I can right click on the desktop and select change background or i can open a Terminal But that is all. The Screen on the laptop is broken and the keyboard is also broken. So i use a Usb keyboard. Is there a way in Terminal i can change the settings to mirror the screens from first to second?

Joseph

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Broken laptop screen and vkeyboard to Desktop monitor and usb keyboard?

You should be able to use xrandr's --output options to set your monitor as the primary display and turn off the broken one. Otherwise you can use its --same-as option to mirror the display.

Beans

Hello the problem is i can not get into xrandr's at all on the second screen. I have no icons or anything to get to settings. I only learn about xrandr a few moments ago. and Not sure if there is a way in Terminal to do that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Support, not chat.

Thread moved to General Help sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Hello thank you for moving me in the right direction.

I kind of figure out how to do it in Terminal xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off and it turns it off and everything goes to my hdmi screen. but it if reboot it comes back. Is there a permanent way of just going to the hdmi?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by josephchrzempiec View Post
    Is there a permanent way of just going to the hdmi?
    The permanent way is to create an xorg.conf that does the same thing as your xrandr command, now that you know that it works. A semi-permanent way would be to run your command in one of the scripts that runs at login.

Beans

Hello i did mange to find this that helped a lot https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...d-use-only-vga under answer it shows to edit the Grub area and update the grub. So i have tried it and rebooted that seem to work. Thank you all for helping me and pointing me in the right direction.

Joseph