Thread: how do you make sure no data is left on harddisc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how do you make sure no data is left on harddisc.

I am getting a new (very old laptop ) that has some personal stuff on it I promised to make sure no one else would be able to get at . the laptop has been used very little and then put aside just because it holds some data that the previous owner consider sensitive enough to want to make sure no one else can get to it in case its stolen or something.

so if I could erase it I can have the laptop and I think its almost fifteen years old so I am not sure which system I can install on it and get to run and I Dont know when I get it.

I just read that you cant be sure all data is erased just by installing a new OS , so how do I make sure the data is unrecoverable.

thanks.

Beans

Re: how do you make sure no data is left on harddisc.

If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thank you. I am not sure if I can get ubuntu installed on the machine because its very old. but I will figure something out when I get it. it was more to verify that you actually can erase data so its not recoverable ,..

Beans

Depending on you who want to prevent getting data, a big hammer is the best if for NSA and their friends, most other people then the link above should be good enough. Have an very old P4 laptop and Lubuntu 16.04 runs okay on it with just over 1GB ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

well its confidential data from a old laptop that been used for work a few times and then kept stored away because laws says certain data have to be kept for 5 or 10 years or something like that so the laptop is like new but its very old.

NSA most likely are not interested in these data. and if they where they properly have them already