Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation of Ubuntu on a 32-bit PC

Beans

Installation of Ubuntu on a 32-bit PC

UPDATE: Have since determined that this is NOT a 32-bit processor - sorry for the misleading post title...

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto a Protech SP-6305 Panel PC. It has an Intel Atom N2800 CPU and 2GB of RAM installed. It currently runs Windows XP perfectly, as this is what was installed when I purchased it (used). I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu. I first tried ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64 burnt to a USB and could get to the GRUB GUI to click 'Install Ubuntu'. The screen would then appear black after this.

When selecting this from the boot menu, it showed up as 'UEFI: USB Stick'

I then tried ubuntu-16.04.6-desktop-i386 as thought I may have better luck with a 32-bit OS. The UEFI option no longer showed up in the boot menu, so I merely selected 'USB Stick' from the boot options and again I get a black screen. It's an American Megatrends BIOS.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm now back to 18.04.3-desktop-amd64 as that got me further than the 32-bit OS.
    Last edited by joearkay; 1 Week Ago at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Installation of Ubuntu on a 32-bit PC

The N2800 should support a 64-bit kernel. But 2 GB RAM is IMHO too little for Ubuntu.
    Try Lubuntu instead, this will run nicely with 2 GB.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...ktop-amd64.iso

The installation takes time, sometimes more than an hour. If you have the option of connecting a DVD drive and installing from there, you'll have "acoustic feedback" on whether the installation is proceeding.

BTW: you'll need internet access after getting to the install GUI.
    Last edited by ml9104; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

You can find lots of tips at this link to a tutorial thread here at the Ubuntu Forums:

Old hardware brought back to life

Beans

I've worked with Lubuntu before and actually have it on another machine, so good shout! Results so far are bleak however! 'Run Lubuntu', 'Run Lubuntu (Safe Graphics)' and 'OEM Install' all seem to give me a black screen after selecting them. Strangely there isn't the usual 'Install Lubuntu' option either?

PS - wording on some of those options may be a little skew - AFD

Beans

Ok, so as an update - on lubuntu 19.10 I click on 'Start Lubuntu(Safe Graphics)', there's a pause, and then I get `3.0067251 gma500 0000:00:02.0: GPU: Power Management Timed Out.` and then back to a black screen. I've googled this and am getting mixed results, but will post an update if/when I get any further.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Did you verify your thumb-drive (live/install-media) was perfect? using the *Check disc for Defects* option (mentioned in https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1...tallation.html)

I write ISO's to thumb-drives most days, and having failed writes seems somewhat common, so I'd suggest confirming your ISO is perfect & write to media was flawless as that takes only minutes, instead of hours+ of subsequent diagnosis if flawed.

Possibly useful : https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...erify-ubuntu#0 and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...IntegrityCheck

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

^ This.
    Secondly: there are dodgy *ubuntu install sites around. Did you follow my link in post #2? Thats's the official repository.
    Thirdly: I've had issues with 19.10 myself, but Lubuntu 19.04 is a marvel. Try that instead, perhaps?

The "Start Lubuntu" or" Start Ubuntu (Safe Graphics)" menu says you're not even in "Live Boot" mode. This is unusual.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

try MXLinux or AntiX. easy to use and should install well on 32 bit machine.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

Ok,

So to address a few bits of feedback so far (and thank you by the way!):

Check disc for Defects :This yields the same "GPU: Power Management Timed Out" problem as before. I've tried an alternate USB following the steps verbatim

Source of Lubuntu: I've downloaded it from the official source and am using 19.10

Other observations

When booting again this morning, I noticed that just after my BIOS splash screen, I see a quick message "Error /boot/ not found" and then the GRUB menu loads - could this perhaps be cause of the below?

The "Start Lubuntu" or" Start Ubuntu (Safe Graphics)" menu says you're not even in "Live Boot" mode. This is unusual.
    Last edited by joearkay; 1 Week Ago at 09:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast