Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do I ensure that I install a NON-Snap version of an application (Thunderbird)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

how do I ensure that I install a NON-Snap version of an application (Thunderbird)

when I reinstalled Thunderbird recently I seem to have inadvertently installed a Snap version
    I barely know what a Snap version is but it has been a nightmare (I cannot access most of my HDDs directly from Thunderbird, I cannot save attachments from an email to most of my HDDs. and apparently this is a restriction or limitation of Snap versions.)

anyway, I want to remove the install I have and reinstall Thunderbird but only if it is a full function NON Snap version.

how do I find or identify a Non Snap version?

many thanks

Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: how do I ensure that I install a NON-Snap version of an application (Thunderbird)

Quote Originally Posted by pjstock View Post
    For precision in a task, the command line is generally the cleanest option.
    Code:
    sudo apt install thunderbird
    The command to remove your snap version would be something like
    Code:
    sudo snap remove thunderbird

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: how do I ensure that I install a NON-Snap version of an application (Thunderbird)

You didn't give your release of Ubuntu. (some newer releases will be moving to snaps by default for some applications, eg. Chromium browser)

You can use a command like

Code:
    "snap connect chromium:removable-media"
    to grant access of that snap access to certain directories (eg. /media/, /mnt/ etc).
    Note: Replace "chromium" with the name of your snap

Beans

Neither Synaptic Package Manager nor Apt can install a snap package, so you are "safe" using those. In Ubuntu Software, check the details of any package to see the source (see attachment, which is for Thunderbird).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Neither Synaptic Package Manager nor Apt can install a snap package, so you are "safe" using those. In Ubuntu Software, check the details of any package to see the source (see attachment, which is for Thunderbird).
    Except that in 20.04, which I am running as the development version, synaptic package manager, and I assume apt install, will install in an indirect manner the snap version of chromium browser, as the deb version normally available that way is no longer available.

Beans

Except that in 20.04, which I am running as the development version...
    Wow. That's interesting. Change noted.

I cannot access most of my HDDs directly from Thunderbird, I cannot save attachments from an email to most of my HDDs.
    You need to mount those HDDs in a supported location for snaps. With Chromium, things have evolved. I have been using the Chromium snap for a long while, and access has improved. Previously, I could not access my data partition which was mounted under /mnt from the Chromium snap. Now, I find this is allowed. All is good in Chromium land 🙂

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, just to add that I haven't had any access problems running that snap version of chromium either in 20.04 but it is the only snap version of anything that I've tried so far.

Seems the old snap access problems may be over, or almost so, in 20.04; let's hope so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    You didn't give your release of Ubuntu.
    Apologies

I am running: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

and the only Thunderbird option I see in Ubuntu Softawre is that Snap version.
    Last edited by pjstock; January 9th, 2020 at 02:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Open up "Software & Updates" and check that you have both Universe and Multiverse repos enabled in the first tab, then run
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install thunderbird
    to install the deb version, and finally run command
    Code:
    sudo snap remove thunderbird
    to remove the current snap version.

I must add that I have no idea where the snap version keeps all the emails that you have received whilst using it so make sure you backup and have copies of any that you need before removing the snap version.

EDIT:
    I have just checked in the Software application and see that there are indeed two versions of thunderbird
    1. Thunderbird, the snap version
    2. Thunderbird-Mail, the more usual .deb version which is the one I use.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; January 9th, 2020 at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Seems the old snap access problems may be over, or almost so, in 20.04; let's hope so.
    /mnt/ and /media/ are for temporary mounts according to the Linux File System Hierarchy Standards:
    https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org...s/ch03s12.html
    https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org...s/ch03s11.html

Linux is about flexiblity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast