Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion of software that is not included in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Discussion of software that is not included in Ubuntu

mastablasta:
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezillabu

It looks like Rescuezilla is compatible to Ubuntu 18.04, but not yet with 19.10. Are there any full-disk backup programs compatible with 19.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Discussion of software that is not included in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ewog View Post

It looks like Rescuezilla is compatible to Ubuntu 18.04, but not yet with 19.10. Are there any full-disk backup programs compatible with 19.10?
    rescuezilla uses 18.04 to run (in the background), but it will be able to backup 19.10 non the less.

the old redobacup used 12.04 i believe. in any case it can backup new distributions fine. the issue is that because the base OS was old it used old kernel and linux has drivers in kernel. so while it would work well with older hardware, it had issues with new mothebroards, CPUs (AMD Ryzen didn't exist in 2012 for example), win10 and secure boot setups etc. by using 18.04 as base it will work with new PC just as well.

btw 18.04.4 has same kernel now as 19.10.

if you look at clonezilla this is the same. so old version can backup new distro version, but they can't run (or have issues) on new PC. clonezilla has a version based on debian testing to offer support for the really new hardware. but for general user i think the option to go with Ubuntu LTS as base i s better. well at least for me, but i have old hardware mostly.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12