Thread: Darktable Upgrade

Beans

Darktable Upgrade

I have been using Darktable 2.6.3 on ubuntu 18.04. There is now a release of Darktable 3.0. Neither Synaptic or Ubuntu software lists an upgrade. Is the upgrade available? How did you install it? Thanks, Jeff

Beans

Re: Darktable Upgrade

Once a release of Ubuntu gets 'frozen', no new versions of packages are put into the repositories only bug-fixes for critical bugs. PPAs or snaps are the normal ways of getting versions that are closer to the current state of development. There used to be a ppa for darktable, but it's deprecated by the developers. If you go to darktable.org and click on 'install' you'll find a link to 'third party packages' in the section on Ubuntu. This leads to three links, 'stable release' leads to 2.6.2, 'snapshot from the stable release branch' leads to 2.6.3 and 'snapshot from the master branch' leads to 3.1.0. The way this is presented makes me think that 3 might not be quite stable yet. In all three variants you can then either directly download a .deb package or add a repository on openSUSE build servers.

Holger

Beans

Re: Darktable Upgrade

Sounds like I would do best to wait until 3.0.1 or something similar comes out.
    Jeff