Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

Hello all,

For the last 15 years, I have been a Mac user, albeit not a Kool-Aid drinking one.
    Consequently, I am used to using iTunes.
    Most of my music collection consists of CDs & needledrops that I ripped into AIFF.

Now I am on a quest to find the ideal Ubuntu compatible music player. I have looked at Clementine, Strawberry, Rhythmbox, of course, as well as Amarok, and Quod Libet, just to name a few.

So, what am I looking for?

Despite all the hate I often see for iTunes, there were a couple of things I actually liked about it.
    In particular, I liked that the metadata in iTunes had 'sort album' & 'sort artist' options.

Call me a product of my time, but it drives me crackers when artists appear sorted by their first name.
    Elvis Costello should appear before Bob Dylan, not after.
    Robin Trower should appear after the Temptations, not before. With iTunes, I was able to remedy that.
    I was also able to sort albums so they would appear in chronological order, not alphabetical.

Is there an Ubuntu-friendly player that will let me do that? Rhythmbox does allow me to sort the artist, but won't let me play AIFF files.

I'm also looking for a player that would let me play all my AIFF files, ideally without converting them.

I've also got high-res files in 24/96 that I would like to be able to play.

I don't subscribe to any streaming audio, so that isn't a need or concern for me.

Am I asking for too much?

Is there one out there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

I can't help with the sorting but AIFF support should be possible: https://askubuntu.com/a/191026/880592

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

Thanks. I tried the Sox install, but still no dice.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by camarillo-brillo View Post
    Is there an Ubuntu-friendly player that will let me do that? Rhythmbox does allow me to sort the artist, but won't let me play AIFF files.
    Have you installed Ubuntu or are you using a live session?

Rhythmbox does, indeed, play aif and aiff files (assuming you have added the relevant codecs/plugins)

Did you try the suggestions in your previous thread (post 4, post 11 and post 14):-

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2434216

As a test, please make sure that the music file is in the Music folder of your user directory.

I've also got high-res files in 24/96 that I would like to be able to play.
    Unable to help, I have no experience of this.
    Last edited by tea for one; 1 Week Ago at 11:37 AM. Reason: Corrected post number

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Have you installed Ubuntu or are you using a live session?

Using Ubuntu.

Rhythmbox does, indeed, play aif and aiff files (assuming you have added the relevant codecs/plugins)

Did you try the suggestions in your previous thread (post 4, post 11 and post 14):-
    I did.

So, Rhythmbox does everything I need.
    Up until now, it was not playing AIFF files.

As a test, please make sure that the music file is in the Music folder of your user directory.
    THAT was what made it work. Ubuntu is on a 256 SSD.
    I have a TB drive that I mounted to the SSD. For whatever reason, when the files are there, it won't read AIFFs. All other files, WAV, MP3, FLAC, etc can all be played & read from that drive without a problem.
    Not sure why, but AIFF files will only play if they are in the Ubunut music folder, but not from anywhere else.
    Other media files, however, are played with no hassles.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Regrettably, I have no idea why AIFF media files have to be placed in username/Music for recognition by Rhythmbox.

Possibly, something to do with Rhythmbox preferences.

However, I suspect that they could be placed anywhere in the user home directory i.e. Downloads or even a specially created folder AIFF_media.

Subsequently, open the file with right click > Open with Other Application > Select Rhythmbox (or View All Applications and select Rhythmbox)

Time for a little experimentation, methinks.

Nevertheless, it would be greatly appreciated if you could mark the thread (via Thread Tools) as solved to help other users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have tried all the above suggestions.

I tried the "open with other application" approach before I posted here - no dice.

Is there a way to mount the specific folder from the 1 TB drive to the music folder in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

I have tried all the above suggestions.

I tried the "open with other application" approach before I posted here - no dice.

Is there a way to mount the specific folder from the 1 TB drive to the music folder in Ubuntu?
    There is probably a way to mount a specific folder but I'm not 100% sure of the procedure. My external drives and USB sticks mount automagically.

I'm sure someone else will step in soon with the answer.

However, I've just put an AIFF file on a FAT 32 formatted usb stick, plugged it into my PC and successfully played the file with Rhythmbox.

What file system do you have on your 1TB drive?

Is it internal or external?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What file system do you have on your 1TB drive?

Is it internal or external?
    It's an internal drive, mounted to the 256 SSD

Beans
    Distro

You did not mention the file system on your internal 1TB drive?

Also, can you check the ownership of the folders containing your AIFF music files?

Select a folder > Right Click > Properties > Permissions

Alternatively, instead of spending hours looking for a solution, why not just transfer the AIFF files to the Music folder in your user directory?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast