Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    that sounds like a great idea. Will give this a try & report back!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Here's the long-awaited update!

    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Splendid, I reckon that you will enjoy your time exploring Ubuntu/Linux.

    When you get a little bit of spare time, I wonder if you can conduct a little experiment.

    I have assumed that your AIFF files were created using Apple software.

    Are you able to create a new AIFF file using Ubuntu software and store the converted file in the usual place on your 1TB drive.

    Does it play?

    I'm just curious if the Apple software you previously used has somehow "locked" the data to a specific set of circumstances i.e. a certain file location can only be played with a nominated music player.

    The command line tool ffmpeg is ideal to convert one audio format to another but the syntax can become complicated.

    The basic command (to convert aiff to flac) is:-

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.aiff output.flac
    Please double check that the metadata (id3 tag) is preserved in your output file.

    It would probably be better to start another thread if you want specific advice concerning ffmpeg because there is a huge choice of options/flags to add to the basic command.

    Lastly, if you want an application for audio editing with a GUI, then have a look at Audacity.

    Kind regards
    Indeed, it does play.
    One problem, however, is that I am unable to edit metadata in WAV or AIFF files.

    Consequently, Harry Nilsson appears before Jellyfish, not after.
    More annoyingly, albums appear in alphabetical order.

    FLAC files do allow me to edit the metadata, so that's what I'll be moving forward with.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    606
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by camarillo-brillo View Post
    Here's the long-awaited update!

    Indeed, it does play.
    One problem, however, is that I am unable to edit metadata in WAV or AIFF files.

    Consequently, Harry Nilsson appears before Jellyfish, not after.
    More annoyingly, albums appear in alphabetical order.

    FLAC files do allow me to edit the metadata, so that's what I'll be moving forward with.
    That's good news that the conversion worked and the track plays from your chosen location.

    Are you using Rhythmbox to adjust your metadata :- left click on a track > Properties > Four Tabs (Basic - Sorting - Details -Album Art)?

    There are other metadata tag tools such as Easytag and Ex Falso.

    I have very limited experience with both these because my tag requirements verge on simplicity and Rhythmbox is sufficient for me.

    Best wishes

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    That's good news that the conversion worked and the track plays from your chosen location.

    Are you using Rhythmbox to adjust your metadata :- left click on a track > Properties > Four Tabs (Basic - Sorting - Details -Album Art)?

    There are other metadata tag tools such as Easytag and Ex Falso.

    I have very limited experience with both these because my tag requirements verge on simplicity and Rhythmbox is sufficient for me.

    Best wishes
    Yes, using Rhythmbox.
    While I can access the properties, regardless of what I type, it doesn't save.
    It does save with FLAC, but not with WAV or AIFF

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    606
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    WAV and AIFF are proprietary formats and most likely protected by their respective authors.

    As FLAC gives you the least resistance, then that's the way to go.

    Cheers

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    WAV and AIFF are proprietary formats and most likely protected by their respective authors.

    As FLAC gives you the least resistance, then that's the way to go.

    Cheers
    The AIFFs are all files from CDs I ripped from my own collection, so there wouldn't be any DRM.
    Likewise, the Wav files are ones I created in Audacity (needledrops from my vinyl collection)

    I don't think it's a DRM issue, I think it's just a bug in those formats that won't retain all metadata.
    In iTunes, for example, I was always able to edit all the metadata in AIFFs.
    With WAVs, on the other hand, I could modify the metadata, but it wouldn't retain.
    If I closed the app & reopened it, the metadata would be lost on WAVS, bit with AIFFs, it would still be there.

    With Rhythmbox, I can edit the metadata, but the changes don't stick.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    606
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by camarillo-brillo View Post
    In iTunes, for example, I was always able to edit all the metadata in AIFFs.
    With WAVs, on the other hand, I could modify the metadata, but it wouldn't retain.
    If I closed the app & reopened it, the metadata would be lost on WAVS, bit with AIFFs, it would still be there.
    You have identified the dilemma. (I've taken the liberty of highlighting in bold the key words)

    AIFF (Apple format) - Apple software works flawlessly
    WAV (Microsoft format) - Apple software fails to remember metadata

    You are presented with some choices:-

    Leave your AIFF and WAV files intact = restricted use with open source applications or continue with Apple & Microsoft applications (in their respective platforms)

    Convert your AIFF and WAV files to FLAC = unrestricted use and freedom

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    You have identified the dilemma. (I've taken the liberty of highlighting in bold the key words)

    AIFF (Apple format) - Apple software works flawlessly
    WAV (Microsoft format) - Apple software fails to remember metadata

    You are presented with some choices:-

    Leave your AIFF and WAV files intact = restricted use with open source applications or continue with Apple & Microsoft applications (in their respective platforms)

    Convert your AIFF and WAV files to FLAC = unrestricted use and freedom
    Indeed, I posted earlier in this thread that I would be converting the files to FLAC for that reason.

    So far, the only issue I have had with FLAC is that I haven't figured out how to add album art.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    606
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by camarillo-brillo View Post
    So far, the only issue I have had with FLAC is that I haven't figured out how to add album art.
    Regrettably, I don't know how you add album art to converted FLAC files.

    If I were you, I would start a new thread with this question to see if more help would be forthcoming.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: On a quest for my utopian music player - specific sorting options & metadata

    Quote Originally Posted by camarillo-brillo View Post

    So far, the only issue I have had with FLAC is that I haven't figured out how to add album art.
    Easytag - it's in the repositories. It's a useful metadata editor. Here's a copy-paste of the easytag package description:

    Code:
    EasyTAG is an utility for viewing, editing and writing the tags of
    different audio files, using a GTK+ interface.
    
    Currently EasyTAG supports the following:
     - View, edit, write tags of MP3, MP2 files (ID3 tag), FLAC files (FLAC Vorbis
       tag), Ogg Opus, Ogg Speex and Ogg Vorbis files (Ogg Vorbis tag),
       MP4/M4A/AAC files (MPEG-4 Part 10 tag), and MusePack, Monkey's Audio files
       (APE tag);
     - Auto tagging: parse file and directory names using masks to automatically
       fill in tag fields;
     - Cover art support for all formats;
     - Rename files from the tag fields (using masks) or by loading a text file;
     - Process selected files of the selected directory;
     - Ability to browse subdirectories;
     - Recursion for tagging, removing, renaming, saving, etc;
     - Can set a field (artist, title, ...) on all other selected files;
     - Read file header information (bitrate, time, ...) and display it;
     - Undo and redo last changes;
     - Ability to process tag fields and file names (convert letters into
       uppercase, lowercase, etc);
     - Ability to open a directory or a file with an external program;
     - CDDB support (from http protocol);
     - A tree based browser;
     - A list to select files;
     - A playlist generator window;
     - A file searching window;
     - Simple and explicit interface.
    (I've used code tags to preserve the simple formatting of the text.)
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

    Member: Not Canonical Team

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •