Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dell inspiron mini 1012 restarts after install but any further boots hang

Beans

Re: dell inspiron mini 1012 restarts after install but any further boots hang

The downloads have been from the lubuntu site - I just clicked the wrong download the first time and that's how I got the alternate. I have since tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the livedvd and when it boots up clicking to install lubuntu. I tried both with and without selecting the install of extra software/drivers/etc., still to no avail. What i have always happen is that it restarts after installation just fine, but any subsequent boot still hangs. The latest has been that the screen with the 5 dots shows for about 3 seconds, then it goes to a blank screen, the hard disk blinks a few times and then it hangs. So, I have to ask, what does Ubuntu and it's derivatives do on the very first boot that it doesn't do any other time? Surely it has to know "first boot"? What ever happens during that seems to negate being able to boot again.

Beans

Just tried the same thing with xubuntu 18.04(?) - same problem. So, this little thing has a resolution of 1024x600 which I know really isn't a standard resolution. Is it possible that this is causing the problem? Perhaps this is when X is starting up?

Beans

I think it is hanging when it is starting X. On the initial boot after installation the screen goes blank at about the same time and then goes to the arrow in the screen while X comes up. On second boot it hangs at this point with a dash or underbar in the top left of the screen. If I reboot a live session and look on the drive i installed to there doesn't seem to be any errors in the log files I have found on that disk's /var directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

How does Debian behave?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

So sorry - I didn't realize 2 things in your previous reply:
    (1) it was actually a link to Debian
    (2) Debian was an actual version of linux

I'll be trying that later tonight and post back the results.

Thanks!

Beans

Same result. Windows 10 installs and runs - albeit slowly. It's not worth the hassle to me, so I'm just going to trash it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I thin it's too early to give up.

What exactly is the error / problem when using Debian? Same as in post 13?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12