Thread: Possible to get XFCE right click menu in other desktop GUI's?

Beans

Possible to get XFCE right click menu in other desktop GUI's?

I have used Xubuntu for years and I genuinely like it for the most part. I used Gnome up until Ubuntu dropped it for Unity. Hated Unity and went back to XFCE. I used KDE for a while several years ago but grew to hate the QT bloat.

I now would like to take a new look at other Desktops but the single thing in XFCE that I would hate to lose is the mouse right click menu giving access to all the installed applications from anywhere on the desktop. I have found this to be a huge time saver.

And now the question! Is it possible to implement this functionality in any of the other desktops?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Possible to get XFCE right click menu in other desktop GUI's?

I enjoyed that feature in Crunchbang Linux (now Bunsen Labs), using only the Openbox window manager. LXDE uses Openbox, so perhaps that functionality is available in that desktop.

But why switch from Xfce? It's awesome, no surprises, elegant, and lightweight.

I must be crazy to love school.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome Shell works with the "left hot corner" accessible anywhere and anytime, instead of a right-click menu, which requires your desktop to be visible. Indeed, if you genuinely like most of the XFCE workflow, you certainly should consider moving back. I prefer Gnome Shell, but XFCE is my very close second.

Beans

I will very probably end up still using XFCE but I'm just curious enough to look at new desktops, like Mate, Cinnamon, and Budgie, and to see what has changed with Gnome and KDE.

Thanks for the replies!