Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scanner install questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Scanner install questions

The only way I could figure out how to get rid of that multiple entries issue was to delete this install. So, have now gone back to zero, cleaned the partition and installed 16.04.3. Didn't lose anything other than a few hours, but it's a learning thing I suppose. Education usually takes a little time.
    Ubuntu 23.04
    HP Pavillion i5; 8Gb RAM; Epson Perfection 3170 Photo Scanner

Dell Optiplex 9020 20Gb RAM; 500Gb Crucial SDD (sda); 2000Gb Crucial SDD (sdb)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was reading in "man sane-dll" that the backend may not be loaded by SANE, and that one could add "an entry to the dll.conf configuration file. In other words, no applications need to be modified or recompiled to add support for new devices."

Maybe that dll.conf file could be edited to add my scanner to the list? Just shootin' in the dark here??
    Ubuntu 23.04

Beans

All three of those VueScan packages were creating by converting from a tar archive. You'd have to remove them using apt with sudo I suspect.

I just downloaded the VueScan binary (currently https://www.hamrick.com/files/vuex6497.tgz) and expanded it into my home directory. The archive includes the executable, vuescan, and three supporting files.

If you can't remove the versions you have, try using "locate -i vuescan" and removing the directories manually.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK Thanks! That worked great. Had a little trouble navigating to the folder (it must have been hidden and didn't show in the "ls" command).

Thanks again!!

$ locate -i vuescan
    /home/leslie/.vuescan
    /home/leslie/.vuescan/vuescan.ini
    /home/leslie/.vuescan/vuescan.log
    Ubuntu 23.04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12