Thread: The forums looks old

Beans

The forums looks old

Why the forums looks so old. Compared to any other forum in the internet it looks like it's been frozen in time 12 years ago. Are you planning on giving it an update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The forums looks old

You'll be able to make changes to your profile after a certain number of post in the support sections.

When that time comes you will understand how wrong your 12 years antiquated was. It's actually some 20 years, just look at the social media options

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You can skin the forum with the following add-on, but it will only offer different color choices.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/

https://userstyles.org/styles/browse...ums&type=false
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rodhos-hp View Post
    Why the forums looks so old. Compared to any other forum in the internet it looks like it's been frozen in time 12 years ago. Are you planning on giving it an update?
    As I understand it, Canonical runs these forum, donates the server(s), bandwidth, power, etc., but nobody from Canonical participates. Everyone here, including moderators, are volunteers. We take what we can get.

I've left other forums due to their tracking abuses. If staying on older software that is still maintained is the cost of that, I'm fine with it.

What features are missing that you want which don't require giving up privacy or aren't just "I think it looks old"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Surely the purpose of this forum is to assist users with problems and to spread information about Ubuntu Linux.

How this forum looks is largely down to the vBulletin forum software we use; if you do not like the colour that it uses you can make changes as mentioned above in post #3 but my only comment would have to be, "Does it really matter what the forum looks like; it's what it offers users that is important, isn't it?"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Surely the purpose of this forum is to assist users with problems and to spread information about Ubuntu Linux.

How this forum looks is largely down to the vBulletin forum software we use; if you do not like the colour that it uses you can make changes as mentioned above in post #3 but my only comment would have to be, "Does it really matter what the forum looks like; it's what it offers users that is important, isn't it?"
    +1

I'd also add that there are a fair few forums on the internet still running phpbb, which also has a rather old look - these forums aren't unique in that regard.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

I seen even more older looking forums out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by rodhos-hp View Post
    Old doesn't mean bad. Modern trends in UI design are horrible and provide a very poor UX, it is nice to have forums like this one which is still convenient to use an looks nice. Don't change. Ever.