Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Acceleration

Beans

Hardware Acceleration

Hello Ubuntu Forums!

Thanks in advance for any help I get on this matter. I can't for the life of me figure this out; I've been trying for a long time now to have Ubuntu used on Oracle VirtualBox, but no matter how I follow instructions online I always encounter the same problem: I can't disable hardware acceleration. The exact words in the box are -

"The hardware virtualization is enabled in the Acceleration section of the System page although it is not supported by the host system. It should be disabled in order to start the virtual system."

Is my computer too bad/slow to use VirtualBox? I can't seem to fix this in either the VirtualBox settings or my computer settings. I also included a screenshot of the window with the error. Thanks again for any help!

-pairsroyale
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hardware Acceleration

Is my computer too bad/slow to use VirtualBox?
    We know nothing of your system to answer that.

Anyway it tells you to go the System tab to disable the settings.
    I'm not sure if you've done that or not.

Oh,
    and moved to the Virtualization sub-forum.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

You're right, it does say to go to the Systems tab to disable the settings. That was one of the many instructions that I followed to try to accomplish this. Here are the instructions pasted from auslogics.com:

1. Right-click an empty space on your desktop and click on Display settings.
    2. Scroll down the Display settings options page to Advanced display settings and open it.
    3. In the next window, click Display adapter properties for display 1.
    4. The graphics properties window will open. Choose the Troubleshoot tab.
    5. Click Change Settings.
    6. In the Display Adapter Troubleshooter bar, move the Hardware acceleration pointer to the left to disable hardware acceleration on your PC.
    7. Click OK to save your changes and exit.

There is no "troubleshoot" tab within the graphics property window. I'm able to get that far; so close. I don't want to mess around with too much in the computer settings without seeing if someone knows a way around this first.

My specs btw are:

AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES, 2C+2G 2.3GHz; 4G RAM; 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

4GB of RAM will be tight. Need to leave 1GB available for the hostOS to manage VMs.
    The best instructions I know are here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation

With an AMD A4-9125, I'd say to avoid the full Ubuntu and go with Lubuntu or Xubuntu or Ubuntu-Mate flavors instead. Don't allocate more than 3GB of RAM to the VM.

Beans

Thanks TheFu, I'll give that a try

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pairsroyale View Post
    You're right, it does say to go to the Systems tab to disable the settings. That was one of the many instructions that I followed to try to accomplish this. Here are the instructions pasted from auslogics.com:

1. Right-click an empty space on your desktop and click on Display settings.
    2. Scroll down the Display settings options page to Advanced display settings and open it.
    3. In the next window, click Display adapter properties for display 1.
    4. The graphics properties window will open. Choose the Troubleshoot tab.
    5. Click Change Settings.
    6. In the Display Adapter Troubleshooter bar, move the Hardware acceleration pointer to the left to disable hardware acceleration on your PC.
    7. Click OK to save your changes and exit.

There is no "troubleshoot" tab within the graphics property window. I'm able to get that far; so close. I don't want to mess around with too much in the computer settings without seeing if someone knows a way around this first.

My specs btw are:

AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES, 2C+2G 2.3GHz; 4G RAM; 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thanks again
    Wrong System tab. I meant the System tab/section in the virtualbox window.
    The setting is a virtualbox setting.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

Sorry for the delay, and thanks again for all of the help. I'll just post this final screenshot of the Virtual Box systems page and if nothing works then I'll move on and try something else.

So there's the next screenshot. It's on the systems page but regardless of how I adjust any of the settings the notification doesn't go away and I can't continue. I haven't found anyone else with this problem before and I'm not super tech savvy yet, so this is where it ends for me for now unless one of you knows a way around this.

Much Appreciated

Edit: I'm also going to the VirtualBox community for help; I'm probably just being a doofus and not seeing a setting somewhere lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pairsroyale; January 10th, 2020 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looking at similar vbox threads you might need to check the settings for virtualization in the BIOS menu.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: Hardware Acceleration

Open Virtual Box Manager --> Select System from the list (The next after General that you posted) and open it. -->
    Their is 3 tabs (motherboard, Processor, Acceleration) Select Acceleration -->
    Leave it on Default, below that is Hardware Virtualization: UN-Check Mark the Enable VT-x.
    They will go to a grey color.: (means it is inactive) --> Select OK to save setting.

Hope this helps, Here is the Hyperlink for the VM Manual.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html
    Last edited by bernard010; February 4th, 2020 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bernard010 View Post
    Open Virtual Box Manager --> Select System from the list and open it. -->
    Their is 3 tabs (motherboard, Processor, Acceleration) Select Acceleration -->
    Leave it on Default, below that is Hardware Virtualization: UN-Check Mark the Enable VT-x.
    They will go to a grey color.: (means it is inactive) --> Select OK to save setting.

Hope this helps, Here is the Hyperlink for the VM Manual.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html
    Did it already, Issue is a BIOS setting.
    Nothing to do in virtualbox, yet.
    Earn Your Keep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast