Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grub commandline sometimes when booting

Beans

Re: Grub commandline sometimes when booting

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    One tip I picked up from reading many threads is to shut down, go into the internals of the PC (make sure that power is unplugged), and unplug power to the internal drive (containing Windows). Then get your external Ubuntu working by using One Time Boot Option (F12 typically).

Other than that, explore efibootmgr options.

I used the efibootmgr commandline in OldFred post #5 here.

Study the options from efibootmgr --help

I have two external devices (HDD and SSD) and the SSD stubbornly refuses to be seen (at times). I am still tracking the cause.
    I have an efi partition on each external device.
    I am now thinking that writing an automation script might automate my workflow.

[Added link] efibootmgr usage
    Just tried reinstalled putting grub on the HDD with ubuntu and still getting the grub commandline at times. Do you have this problem aswell when a disk can't be seen at times?

Edit: I just typed ls at the grub commandline and it looks like its not detecting my HDD. Which is weird since grub is now on the HDD so how did the commandline even load.
    Edit2: I just checked and ubuntu installed grub to the SSD even though I picked the HDD no wonder it's still not working. Going to try to put grub on the HDD now.
    Edit3: Ok installed grub into the HDD and now the commandline is gone but when I select Windows it says no such device. Ubuntu loads fine even tried sudo update-grub and it doesn't work.
    Last edited by cornaljoe; 1 Week Ago at 02:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I will try to add my notes although I am still in first grade in trying to learn the ins and outs of efi/gpt/mbr

I am of the view that a parsing script is need to make sense of each boot-repair report placed on pastebin. And an automation script.

From your earlier pastebin report I glean .. (use browser Find > efibootmgr to get to the point in the report)

Code:
    ================== efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0002
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0002,0000
    Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager    HD(1,GPT,0c0d8994-00ff-4133-a221-4f50fddc4b11,0x800,0x82000)/File(EFIMICROSOFTBOOTBOOTMGFW.EFI)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}....................
    Boot0002* ubuntu    HD(1,GPT,0c0d8994-00ff-4133-a221-4f50fddc4b11,0x800,0x82000)/File(EFIUBUNTUSHIMX64.EFI)

I interpret this as two bootable partitions. Windows and ubuntu. Both in HD 1, GPT.

If (at your risk) you wish to experiment with grub menu list (as I resorted to), then in my working Ubuntu (one of three) or even LiveUSB I installed Grub Customizer.

http://tipsonubuntu.com/2018/03/11/i...ntu-18-04-lts/

Under "default entry" I ticked “previously booted entry” instead of default “predefined”.

You can right click on a menu item and change (for example) “ubuntu” to “Ubuntu 18.04”.

When on occasions I get into a mess ("device not found") I reboot and type F2 to inspect boot items.

Sometimes I have had to recreate a boot item manually. To do this, reboot and enter Boot Sequence by tapping F2. In my case I have three drives to contend with. In your case you only have one (HD 1). I am on Dell.

I recommend studying all OldFred posts on UEFI. This is a huge corpus but I have found references to Ubiquity bugs, for example. As an exercise I intend to try to index all these references to automate this painful multi-booting process.

[Later edit] Use the Forum advanced search feature ..

Advanced Search
    Search Type: Posts
    Search for Posts
    Keywords: UEFI ....................Search entire posts
    User Name: OldFred..............Find Latest Posts by User Exact name

[Adding another reference] From OldFred's corpus of many links I unearthed this very helpful tutorial.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=287353

I plan to explore the rEFInd method.

Last edited by dragonfly41; 1 Week Ago at 02:04 PM. Reason: Advanced Search .. and another link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I made a bootable USB stick with rEFInd according to the rEFInd method description on this page
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=287353
    I used an Ubuntu 19.10 installation. Because Ubiquity always stores the boot info in the 1:st disk, sda or nvme0n1, you have open a terminal and use the ubiquity -b
    command to later be able to store grub on the USB stick
    I have set BIOS to only boot in UEFI mode and to boot from the USB stick, I select the USB stick in BIOS.
    I don't know how it actually works because when I check with Disks the boot file is mounted on sda.
    I suppose the /boot picture is from the installation on the USB stick and the /boot/efi/EFI picture is from sda, even though I took the pictures from files on the USB stick installation.
    Last edited by P-I H; 1 Week Ago at 03:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have not get around to trying rEFInd.

I throw in here a mention about falling back to use Windows as a recovery tool.

I have just now experienced the older HDD in my two external USB drives not booting.
    Now I might be pushing my luck by having external HDD & SSD with ESP partition, EXT4 partition and NTFS partition in each device.
    Moreover one (SSD) is GPT and the other is MBR (and I read from OldFred guide that I should not mix them).
    But this is an interim stage and eventually I will have only external SSD's.

The point is I hit a booting error.

I opted to boot into Windows where I had testdisk installed.
    I ran testdisk and three drives were detected.

The problem drive showed "bad GPT partition, invalid signature".
    I selected the problem drive and choose ..
    if MBR .. choose Intel
    if GPT .. choose EFI GPT

Analysed and changed the partition status from D to P.

Rebooted and I am writing this post from my recovered drive.

I could also use LiveUSB for running testdisk.

Now I am back to experimenting. Keep testdisk in mind to recover screwed up partitions.

Beans

I pinned down the problem. When booting grub doesn't see all drives only the one it's booting from sometimes (it seems to happen randomly). With grub on the SSD when it couldn't see the ubuntu drive (HDD) it would load the command prompt. Exiting the command prompt properly loads all drives somehow and I'm able to boot from either. When grub is on the HDD it sometimes couldn't see the SSD therefore says no such device when trying to boot windows. If I press ESC to load the command prompt and type exit it properly sees all drives.

I can't really pinpoint why it's not seeing all drives sometimes. Maybe the drive hasn't fully booted yet. Is there a way to make grub take a little longer to load so all drives get read?
    Last edited by cornaljoe; 3 Days Ago at 08:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I can't really pinpoint why it's not seeing all drives sometimes. Maybe the drive hasn't fully booted yet. Is there a way to make grub take a little longer to load so all drives get read?
    I have to write that I have been experiencing similar problems in booting up my external SSD which has Ubuntu 18.04 installed. In fact my external HDD with an earlier version of Ubuntu is more reliable in booting up. Problems only started when I added my external SSD. I am guessing that there must be some HDD/SSD timing issue as you suggest. I am reaching the point where I might consider an earlier idea in these forums to add an inline power switch so that the SSD has priority (i.e. Windows drive switched off by pressing a button before booting up SSD). Admittedly a crude fix but might work in this case. Of course this requires SSD to have its own efi partition (which I have with boot flags).

I am referring to post #15 here.

Last edited by dragonfly41; 3 Days Ago at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added link to thread on adding inline power switch

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post

I have to write that I have been experiencing similar problems in booting up my external SSD which has Ubuntu 18.04 installed. In fact my external HDD with an earlier version of Ubuntu is more reliable in booting up. Problems only started when I added my external SSD. I am guessing that there must be some HDD/SSD timing issue as you suggest. I am reaching the point where I might consider an earlier idea in these forums to add an inline power switch so that the SSD has priority (i.e. Windows drive switched off by pressing a button before booting up SSD). Admittedly a crude fix but might work in this case. Of course this requires SSD to have its own efi partition (which I have with boot flags).

I am referring to post #15 here.

I found a solution. Installed refind bootloader and it doesn't have any of the problems grub has. Plus I changed to this theme and it looks great. One thing that i changed was the console text it shows during boot and turned it off. Do this by opening refind.conf and uncomment use_graphic_for and set your OS. Also lowered the autoboot time to 7 secs instead of 20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12