Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Beans
    449

    should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

    Running Lubuntu 18.04.

    RIght now, I'm presented with two install options of Rhythmbox, install through apt-get or install through flatpak. I'm confused as to what method of installation I should go for.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny Southend-on-Sea
    Beans
    7,243
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

    If you're getting those options then you're doing it wrong. This isn't Windows; going to some random website and downloading some random thing is not the way to go about it. You should be using your package manager to install things: that's what it's there for.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Beans
    449

    Re: should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

    Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    If you're getting those options then you're doing it wrong. You should be using your package manager to install things: that's what it's there for.
    I've made the flatpak option available to me because I needed some software that isn't available in the standard Ubuntu repos. Was that a mistake? I shouldn't install via flatpak anything at all?

    This isn't Windows; going to some random website and downloading some random thing is not the way to go about it.
    I didn't say I installed from some random website, I use flathub website, isn't that the official repo for flatpak?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

    You can install rythmbox, it looks like you have Lubuntu, so it may install a bunch of gnome dependencies.
    Do not know flatpack.

    This is form my 18.04.
    Code:
    fred@bionic-z97:~$ apt show rhythmbox
    Package: rhythmbox
    Version: 3.4.2-4ubuntu1
    Priority: optional
    Section: gnome
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Beans
    449

    Re: should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You can install rythmbox, it looks like you have Lubuntu, so it may install a bunch of gnome dependencies.
    Do not know flatpack.

    This is form my 18.04.
    Code:
    fred@bionic-z97:~$ apt show rhythmbox
    Package: rhythmbox
    Version: 3.4.2-4ubuntu1
    Priority: optional
    Section: gnome
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Thanks for the reply.
    I know I can install it, but my question is, which is a better install method, apt-get or flatpak?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ba'aku
    Beans
    90
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

    Definitely apt-get! You get automatic updates that way, etc. Flatpaks should only be used if the software is not available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.


    I must be crazy to love school.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Beans
    449

    Re: should I install via apt-get or flatpak?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Definitely apt-get! You get automatic updates that way, etc. Flatpaks should only be used if the software is not available in the standard Ubuntu repositories.
    Thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •