Thread: Dell monitor will not work with Ubuntu Studio 18.04

Beans

Dell monitor will not work with Ubuntu Studio 18.04

I have a Dell U2717D monitor. I hooked it up to both a 2011 iMac and a Dell Latitude E6440 laptop running Ubuntu Studio. I connected the iMac to the monitor with a Dell miniport-to-HDMI cable, and the laptop with an HDMI-to-HDMI cable. In both instances, I could see the Ubuntu Studio login screen. However, when I logged in, all that I see is the Ubuntu Studio 18.04 logo. There is no dock, no icons, nothing. I also could not see any open apps. Changing the resolution on the computers did not help. There were no settings on the monitor (except screen ratios, 16:9, 5:4, and 4:5) available. These did not help either. I tested both with Ubuntu Studio 19.10 (I think) and both worked. What can I do to actually see items on the monitor.
    Last edited by Music_Guy; January 2nd, 2020 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Marked as Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Dell monitor will not work with Ubuntu Studio 18.04

I am a little confused here: are you saying that everything works OK when you boot to 19.10? If so, you may need to use 19.10 because it has newer drivers in it.

Beans

Re: Dell monitor will not work with Ubuntu Studio 18.04

I found out the reason that the monitor did not seem to work with Ubuntu Studio 18.04. I had the "primary display" box checked. When I unchecked this box, the monitor sprang to life and is working perfectly now.