Thread: Transferring files to the USB stick takes a very long time as with Windows

Beans

Transferring files to the USB stick takes a very long time as with Windows

Hello, whenever files are copied on the USB stick, the system takes a long time to copy the files over. No matter how big the files are. I tried other USB sticks but the same problem. Egall wleche Ubuntu version I have the problem again. But who I copy over with Windows files I have no problems. Wiso is the problem only with Linux. Sometimes the system hangs up for a short while when copying over?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Transferring files to the USB stick takes a very long time as with Windows

How are you copying the files; using the file-manager or terminal cp command?
    To give us as much info as possible, if you're using the file-mnager, try copying with a terminal command to see if that is any speedier.cp
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

To show a little more info on the USB devices (with USB stick connected), run:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C bus
    sudo lsusb
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; January 1st, 2020 at 08:37 PM.

Beans

There is a bug regarding specific hardware that has been in the USb stack for many a year.

You should try ionice. It may help:
    $ sudo ionice cp fromfile tofile