Thread: How do I get back from Ctrl-Alt-F1 ?

Beans

How do I get back from Ctrl-Alt-F1 ?

Ubuntu 18.04.02 (using it as desktop)

If my system freezes or hangs, and I know what's probably killing it (usually chrome, right), how can I kill it and then get back into the gui?

I know I can get Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to drop out of the gui and I've been a developer for 20 years so I know how to run ps and killall etc.

My question is how do I get back into gui after Ctrl-Alt-F1? I don't want to start a new session I want the same session just switch me back to the desktop after I killed stuff.

I couldn't find the needle in the haystack when I google- everything I found about Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or f2,f3,f4, for multiple virtual terminals, etc), just told me how to restart the system and/or session after I drop to terminal. No, I want to stay in the the same session, just switch back to the GUI after I've killed chrome.

Thanks

d

ps does anyone else have the problem in this form field where you double click a word to select it and when you start typing it does nothing (doesn't start replacing the selected text? This is the only site that does that it's so annoying...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: How do I get back from Ctrl-Alt-F1 ?

Alt-F7 normally gets you back to the the GUI (assuming it's working and able to re-draw).

No problem with double-click and type to replace words here (i.e. in this reply). But that's with Firefox on Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I have found there are times when ctrl+alt+f7 doesn't switch back to desktop, but in most of these occasions ctrl+alt+f8 works (it's as if it restarts using the next... I've not bothered looking at why, nor detected when/why it occurs as it's only rarely occurring..).

Yeah I have issues where I highlight a word (using mouse) on this screen/site, and I cannot type to replace the word, but can press <del> to delete word & type away. Again i didn't explore why, just worked around it. (FYI: I"m using chromium snap usually)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In Ubuntu 18.04, there has been an alteration to the access of a tty.

You now have to use Ctrl Alt F3 up to Ctrl Alt F6 to reach a tty
    Ctrl Alt F2 or Alt F2 will return you to the graphical desktop.

Info found here https://askubuntu.com/questions/1033...w-to-leave-gui

First answer by Stuart Caie is relevant.

Beans

Ok hold on- I don't mean that I want to drop out of the session; I mean I want to drop to a raw terminal shell. I was wrong- I thought ctrl-alt-f1 gets me to a terminal but no, it just gets me back to the session login screen. How do I get to a raw terminal screen? No GUI windows; the raw black background white text terminal?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by david503 View Post
    Ok hold on- I don't mean that I want to drop out of the session; I mean I want to drop to a raw terminal shell. I was wrong- I thought ctrl-alt-f1 gets me to a terminal but no, it just gets me back to the session login screen. How do I get to a raw terminal screen? No GUI windows; the raw black background white text terminal?
    You've already got the answer to that. vt1 to 7 is accessed by Ctrl-Alt-F1 to -F7. It used to be the case that the graphical environment was on 7, then it was the case that it was on 1, and now, apparently, it's on 2 with the login screen on 1. The other vts are text TTYs.

Beans

No that's not happening. Right now if I type Crtl-Alt-esc, I get to a (GIU) login to return to shell. Not a raw terminal.

I know you're going to say "no but I said Ctl-Alt-f1".

Ok so If I do Ctrl-Alt-F1. Nothing happens. Nothing. Or ok now it's F2? : "Ctrl-Alt-f2" Or "Ctrl-Alt-f3"Or "Ctrl-Alt-f4"Or "Ctrl-Alt-f5" Nothing happens.

I mean even if I switch to other applications, or just to gnome desktop by itself; nothing happens.

Perhaps I should've phrased the question as "how do I get out of GUI to a raw terminal window and then get back in".

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

On my machine, Ctl-Alt-F7 still returns me to the GUI desktop after using Ctl-Alt-F(3 through 6 or so) to open a TTY. I'm running Lubuntu 18.04 with current updates. I suppose different Desktop Environments could behave differently now; I haven't used others lately.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    On my machine, Ctl-Alt-F7 still returns me to the GUI desktop after using Ctl-Alt-F(3 through 6 or so) to open a TTY.
    On my Xubuntu 19.10 laptop too (and ctrl+alt+F{1,2} also give the command line), but that may be because it was release-upgraded all the way from 16.10. Fresh installs may be different.