Thread: HP Notebook has no option to switch to AHCI - Is installation possible?

Beans

HP Notebook has no option to switch to AHCI - Is installation possible?

Notebook: HP 15-da0073wm
    Memory: 4GB
    Storage: 1TB HDD + 16 GB Optane "memory" (a 16GB SSD stick)
    BIOS: InsydeH20 - version F.22 (most current version)

All instructions I have read about how to install Ubuntu 18.04LTS in a dual boot configuration
    with Windows 10, include a step to set SATA controller to AHCI mode (instead of RAID or RST).

The BIOS on this system does not have an option to change the SATA controllers MODE.

I posted a question in the HP forum asking how to do it, and the response was:
    @ToneBen It looks like the advanced options in BIOS on your device is locked by HP, to prevent changes that may render the device unstable,
    that said, you can't change the SATA controller to AHCI due to the reason mentioned above.

You may try updating the BIOS and then, check for changes, if nothing helps, its because the options are locked by design.

So, my question is "does this mean I will be unable to install Ubuntu on this notebook?"

Thanks,
    -tony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HP Notebook has no option to switch to AHCI - Is installation possible?

Try a live session and check if the drive where you intend to install is seen. If it is then no change is needed.

Beans

Thank you for your response.

I did previously try a live usb, and started to do an installation, only to discover it didn’t detect the windows installation on the hard disk, so I exited before it wrote anything.

I have discovered a website where they help you modify the bios (to unlock options). But considering this notebook is not mine, and belongs to a neophyte user, and every option I know of are risky, and require deeper understanding than the user possesses, I have returned it to them as a Windows only system.

I must say I am more than annoyed at HP for doing this, and will not consider purchasing an hp in the future because of it.

I do hope Linux kernel developers will take note of this new manufacturing direction (locking out config changes to the bios) and perhaps enable installing Linux on non-AHCI PCs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Maybe they do not call it AHCI anymore?

This HP user just disabled optane.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1134...rtition-solved

While Dell, some explaination of Optane.
    https://www.dell.com/support/article...stions?lang=en
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

The “HP user” who just “disabled optane”, according to their post did so in the BIOS, which is not available in this HP Notebook.

As to the Dell explanation, I have successfully enabled a Linux/windows-10 dual boot on a dell notebook equipped with optane (disable in intel RST app, setup window it install AHCI driver, disable RST/RAID in BIOS).

My question is “Is it possible to install Ubuntu on a system that CANNOT be put into AHCI mode?”

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Bennett View Post
    The “HP user” who just “disabled optane”, according to their post did so in the BIOS, which is not available in this HP Notebook.

As to the Dell explanation, I have successfully enabled a Linux/windows-10 dual boot on a dell notebook equipped with optane (disable in intel RST app, setup window it install AHCI driver, disable RST/RAID in BIOS).

My question is “Is it possible to install Ubuntu on a system that CANNOT be put into AHCI mode?”
    Hey,

I am in the same boat. Were you able to find an answer to your question?

Thanks
    ps

Beans

Considering the owner of the HP is not a "power user" (to say the least),
    and she was happy with Windows (sigh...), I gave her back the computer
    unmodified.

I since found a pretty detailed write up about installing Ubuntu on a system
    which has Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) HERE: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubunt...-enabled/15347

But, if HP doesn't provide an option in the UEFI (BIOS) to convert SATA from Raid (or RST) to AHCI,
    I still don't see how we can install Ubuntu. If you figure it out, please post an update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Bennett View Post
    Notebook: HP 15-da0073wm
    Memory: 4GB
    Storage: 1TB HDD + 16 GB Optane "memory" (a 16GB SSD stick)
    BIOS: InsydeH20 - version F.22 (most current version)

All instructions I have read about how to install Ubuntu 18.04LTS in a dual boot configuration
    with Windows 10, include a step to set SATA controller to AHCI mode (instead of RAID or RST).

The BIOS on this system does not have an option to change the SATA controllers MODE.

I posted a question in the HP forum asking how to do it, and the response was:
    @ToneBen It looks like the advanced options in BIOS on your device is locked by HP, to prevent changes that may render the device unstable,
    that said, you can't change the SATA controller to AHCI due to the reason mentioned above.

You may try updating the BIOS and then, check for changes, if nothing helps, its because the options are locked by design.

So, my question is "does this mean I will be unable to install Ubuntu on this notebook?"

Thanks,
    -tony
    Hi, i try this and work for my. Try to install previus version of ubuntu, like 10.08, in your usb drive and then in to hard drive. This version haven't problem with de rst system. Finally install de last version from ubuntu.

I hope this work for you

Saludos

Beans

Unhappy Re: HP Notebook has no option to switch to AHCI - Is installation possible?

Have you found a way to do it yet? I tried many distros (Arch, Fedora, etc) none of them shows Intel RST restriction while installing. Why Ubuntu?

The only way I'm able to use Ubuntu 21.10 is first to install 18.04, then upgrade it to 20,04 and then upgrade it to 21.10. Why can't Ubuntu just let users install directly just like in 18.04?
    Last edited by alvincarter717; April 4th, 2022 at 10:58 AM.