Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Question Which Ubuntu flavor do you recommend for LENOVO IdeaPad L340

The laptop Specs are:

• Ryzen 5 3500U
    • 8GB
    • 256GB SSD
    • Radeon RX Vega 8
    • 17,3" FHD

I'd like it (the interface, window manager?) to be stable, fast, reasonably power-efficient when surfing the web, watching videos, editing documents, transferring images from phone.

I'm leaning towards LTS (18.04) but I'm open to more upgrades if it means it suits my requirements better.

Could it also support playing (mild) games? Something like Minecraft or games popular among 10-year olds.

Are there any flavors with interesting animations and effects like Compiz that would suit me? Wow factors and eye candy?

Thank you for your suggestions
    It's turtles all the way down

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Which Ubuntu flavor do you recommend for LENOVO IdeaPad L340

What DESKTOP best suits your, only you can really decide.

GNOME is not my cup-of-tea, but lots of users love it. The software you end up using can influence which will perform best for you, ie. if you want to use Qt (Q toolkit) apps then a Qt DEsktop maybe best, if you want to use GTK+3 apps then a GTK3 based DE will perform better for you (or at least waste less RAM by having two libraries needed in RAM that do the same thing, ie. one for your desktop, one for your app).

Personal preferences are a huge factor, what DE best suits your workflow (at times I do like gnome, and select gnome at login on my box; though that's rare; I have multiple DEs installed on my system so I can choose at login).

My best advice is download some flavors, and try before you install.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...-you-install#0

(this link applies to Ubuntu proper with GNOME desktop, but works equally well with any flavor)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by prkos View Post
    The laptop Specs are:

• Ryzen 5 3500U
    • 8GB
    • 256GB SSD
    • Radeon RX Vega 8
    • 17,3" FHD

I'm leaning towards LTS (18.04) but I'm open to more upgrades if it means it suits my requirements better.
    I would normally strongly recommend an LTS release, but 18.04 was released before that hardware, and support for it wasn't put through the pipeline in advance, and so it can be a bit of work getting that hardware to work with the older release. 19.10 or the future 20.04 will probably be a smoother ride.

I'd like it (the interface, window manager?) to be stable, fast, reasonably power-efficient when surfing the web, watching videos, editing documents, transferring images from phone.
    Gnome is also not my cup of tea. I'd recommend starting with KDE; it's polished and fast, well-integrated, and has configurable bling of the sort that Compiz had. Not having wobbly windows and the desktop cube would feel weird to me, and they're just a checkbox away on KDE.

I'd also second the recommendation of trying out a bunch of desktop environments from a live USB or in a VM to get a feel for the kinds of thing that are available. Everyone's tastes are different.

Could it also support playing (mild) games? Something like Minecraft or games popular among 10-year olds.
    My much weaker Skylake laptop runs Minecraft fine. Stardew Valley runs on anything, too. Phoronix does linux gaming benchmarks often, and I think they covered the Ryzen integrated graphics. You could see there what performance might be like with games similar to the ones you might be interested in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I personally highly recommend Ubuntu MATE, with a lightweight, configurable desktop, a great Software Boutique, and is arguably the best Ubuntu flavor for both old hands and rank n00bz.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ubuntu 18.04.3 should ship with a kernel new enough for the hardware you've listed.
    I would also recommend the MATE desktop.

Beans

I've installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on 4 Lenovo PCs models: T430, T440, T450 and B590. All work fine. So 18.04 LTS should work for your Lenovo too.