in fiction

in reality

please post examples of fiction versus reality if you have any examples

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: movies versus reality.

Space stuff because that's my background. There are many, many, examples in scifi movies that are all wrong.

In TV/Movies, rockets only need huge fuel tanks when leaving Earth, but not to leave any other planet with Earth-like gravity. Cough - Interstellar - cough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Sound in space battle scenes.

Star Wars is possibly best known for its epic space dogfights. Blaster, engine and explosion sounds can be heard in those space scenes. Space is a vacuum, however, and since sound requires matter to propagate, the audience should not hear any sound.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

in movies .

in reality

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Changing directions in space.

Spacecraft don't work like aircraft. There's no air. BSG got that mostly right when they showed the flip, thruster, to change direction. There's no such thing as a "coordinated turn" in spacecraft, at least not using an aileron roll and pull back on the stick that every pilot knows. In space, tiny thrusters are used to change where the craft points, then equal and opposite tiny thrusters are used to stop that rotation, before the larger engines come on the actually change the vector for the craft.

The space shuttles had roll, pitch and yaw rate limiters to prevent spinning too fast which would cause the humans onboard from passing out.
    For emergency manoeuvres, those were disabled, for example a 2-3 engine out abort in OPS1. The goal was to get into a specific horizontal attitude relative to the Earth below ASAP. I never met anyone who believed the astronauts would be able to successfully bail out, including about 10 astronauts. Nobody on the team writing the code thought they'd make it either, but we weren't experts on human capabilities when the adrenaline was flowing. First time we explained the software upgrade to an astronaut at a bar, over a few beers, his initial take was, direct quote, "Hell, if that happens, we're just gonna die." To which someone on the SW team said, "Yes, but now it will be automated."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In TV and movies, they never spend 10 minutes driving around looking for parking. Somehow, it is acceptable to park 20 steps from the front door of any building, even when they aren't robbing it.

I'm still looking for this mysterious "beer" that people order that doesn't have a specific name or size and everyone is happy to get without a waiter going through the beer list first.

Meals in movies never get any complaints. Had a meal with a friend yesterday, hadn't seen in 10+ yrs. Mine was fine, not great, just ok. His really sucked.

I do like when the actors have an old beater vehicle. That is more real, but somehow, a college student, working as a waiter, seems to have a $50K, new, truck, with $4K in rims, $2K bed cover, and the high-end engine. Really, he should have a 1990 Nissan "truck" that burns oil and has a broken left tail light. Every third episode, he should get pulled over by a cop for the broken light. The windshield should have a 3ft long crack and one back seat window shouldn't work.

Why do people go into the basement at 2am when they hear a noise and get killed? Why isn't it a Roomba or a raccoon or skunk down there?

Why don't their smoke alarms ever need the battery changed? My house has 5 and each starts beeping to get the battery changed at a different time yearly. Because of the house layout and echos, I get to stand in the middle of a hall to eliminate just 1. Then go downstairs to eliminate another, so it takes about 6 minutes to even find the correct unit/battery to change. There is another rule - this only happens from 11pm - 5am. It must be programmed into the units to beep only when dark.
    Last edited by TheFu; December 29th, 2019 at 06:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the reason why I stopped watching horror movies is exactly because of of how predictable some scenes are. the lets go to the basement at 2 am all alone in a haunted house full of witches and the dead and get ourselves killed scene been done a few to many times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Skip to 3 minutes to see the typing sequence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is just me that isn't seeing anything but beige background where I'm guessing people attempted to embed images/videos?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast