Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: movies versus reality.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: movies versus reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    It is just me that isn't seeing anything but beige background where I'm guessing people attempted to embed images/videos?
    There are currently 4 youtube videos and a 2 static images posted, all showing fine in Firefox 71 here.

Do you use script/ad blocking in the browser or host blocking (via the hosts file) there at all ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    There are currently 4 youtube videos and a 2 static images posted, all showing fine in Firefox 71 here.

Do you use script/ad blocking in the browser or host blocking (via the hosts file) there at all ?
    Yes, but the links have always shown before even if they cannot be followed. No video links or static images from them are working. Youtube is not blocked. googletagmanager.com javascript is blocked. Most social network/image sites are blocked at the network layer. Generally use mpv to play web videos. No commercials that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    It is just me that isn't seeing anything but beige background where I'm guessing people attempted to embed images/videos?
    No. I get a white box with a click box marked "I am not a robot" in it for each of them. Then when I click that, I get to identify traffic lights. Happens most days. I'm slowly getting to dislike using youtube.
    Last edited by The Cog; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

There's a star trek series where the opening credits show the dust round an asteroid (or something) swirling in the downwash from a spaceship as it passes by. That bugs me every time I see it. Somebodyactually went to the effort of CGI-ing the effect.

And not only does the sound of explosions and engine roar seem to carry very well through the vacuumn of space in lots of films, it carries at the speed of light. Even 2001 A Space Oddyessy knew better than that, half a lifetime ago.

Beans

In almost every single adventure movie where there is a journey through a cavern or subway or other subterranean passage . . .

Let's set aside that there is **always** a torch at the entrance, and it always lights at the first strike.

This d***n thing burns for 20 minutes or however long they need it. I have experimented with this using oil wicks and other flammables, the most you get is 3 to 5 minutes at best. Always annoys me that Hollywood torches last foreeeeeever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9204204/

The whole movie is a feast of pseudo/anti-science and GMOs/transgenic fear mongering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12