Thread: When should I replace my battery?

Beans

When should I replace my battery?

I have the Dell XPS 13 9360 Developer Edition. I bought this computer in July 2017. My battery life has declined significantly.

When I open the Power Statistics app I have the following datapoints:
    Energy When Full 32.4 Watts
    Energy (design) 60 Watts

I have already purchased a replacement battery. Should I install it now or should I use this one a little longer?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: When should I replace my battery?

Batteries have a finite shelf life, depending on the batteries composition.
    Use it now.
    Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic & win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.29
    Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10 Homerun dual netwk tuner 55¨ Samsung ES8000

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I read lots of stories on battery life. The only thing I know for sure is that I bought by current laptop in 2011 and that it still has its original battery. Usually, I use the laptop on mains power, but I still get over three and a half hours battery life. Originally, I got close to four hours, so any change, if real, is hardly significant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I have a number of laptops I've read it's a good idea to remove the battery when you have your laptop plugged in unless your charging it. If I am home I keep the battery out of my laptop as long as it can easily be removed I only put the battery in if I need to bring my laptop out for any reason. keeping your laptop plugged in with the battery in will shorten the battery life

Beans

I don't know if they directly translate but I'd guess those numbers mean half the charge, half the potential run time. Only you can decide if that matters at the moment. I have a laptop that was given to me, had about an hour and 15 mins battery life. Figured it could be better (never looked at the stats but it's an old laptop). Replaced the battery and now it does 5-6 hours easy. Relatively cheap fix for a huge improvement in lifetime. I'd say change it.