Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this laptop hardware compatible with Ubuntu?

Beans

Question Is this laptop hardware compatible with Ubuntu?

I'm thinking about purchasing this laptop from Dell:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...05246442050758

Is all of the hardware compatible with Ubuntu? I really need to know for sure prior to purchasing.

I already have a super high end desktop using Windows. The laptop purchase is to assist me with learning Linux, web browsing, e-mail, and for light gaming occasionally on less intensive games like DotA 2 on Steam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by muscl3s; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Is this laptop hardware compatible with Ubuntu?

Have you considered installing Ubuntu in a dual boot on the desktop?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Generally speaking, most Dell's have very few issues with Linux since Dell does offer some of their machines with Linux installed instead of Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by muscl3s View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing this laptop from Dell:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...05246442050758

Is all of the hardware compatible with Ubuntu? I really need to know for sure prior to purchasing.

I already have a super high end desktop using Windows. The laptop purchase is to assist me with learning Linux, web browsing, e-mail, and for light gaming occasionally on less intensive games like DotA 2 on Steam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    That's a Ryzen 7 machine using Vega 10 graphics. I think you'd want to use 19.10 on it, 18.04 won't work with Vega graphics. At least my desktop didn't. Dell does sell machines with Linux already installed but I think those are higher end machines. I'll bet the Dell machines with Linux preinstalled are Intel machines.
    Last edited by kurt18947; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:34 AM.

Beans

Only the developer edition XPS 3 are sold with Ubuntu pre-installed. Those machines are Intel with integrated graphics for nearly 1k USD. The machine I linked is just as good IMO for hardware for a lot less in price. I don't have any problem using 19.10 but I was hoping someone else was on a system with a similar configuration to confirm it works well. The wireless card that comes included is also something I'm unsure of for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by muscl3s View Post
    Only the developer edition XPS 3 are sold with Ubuntu pre-installed. Those machines are Intel with integrated graphics for nearly 1k USD. The machine I linked is just as good IMO for hardware for a lot less in price. I don't have any problem using 19.10 but I was hoping someone else was on a system with a similar configuration to confirm it works well. The wireless card that comes included is also something I'm unsure of for Linux.
    There's actually a bunch of them now, although they did start with the XPS 13. Search for "Project Sputnik."

For WiFi Intel is generally the best supported on Linux, but the mobile page I get redirected to from your link (I'm using a phone to read the forums) doesn't have that info.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    There's actually a bunch of them now, although they did start with the XPS 13. Search for "Project Sputnik."

For WiFi Intel is generally the best supported on Linux, but the mobile page I get redirected to from your link (I'm using a phone to read the forums) doesn't have that info.
    I looked further into that link. It does appear that Intel WiFi is available. I think one may have to select Intel as part of the configuration/purchase process. I don't know if Intel is an extra cost option or not.

Beans

I verified with a Dell rep that the included wifi card with the laptop I wanted is a Qualcomm:
    https://www.dell.com/support/manuals...99b&lang=en-us

I assume that doesn't work with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The QCA9377 works in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

If WiFi is the only concern, would a known-to-work USB WiFi adapter serve at least temporarily?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast