Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this laptop hardware compatible with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Is this laptop hardware compatible with Ubuntu?

+1 Autodave, I have a few dells and have no issues installing Ubuntu on any of my machines

Beans

I just wanted to give an update that I purchased the laptop I linked in my original post. I installed 16gb of ram and did a fresh install of Ubuntu. It's working beautifully without any issues thus far. Loving this new machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Great to hear! Your machine probably uses 'standard' components. Ubuntu doesn't have "it supports even the most uncommon/oddball hardware out there" like Windows does. The upside is that once a piece of hardware is natively supported it's likely to remain supported for quite some time unlike some Windows hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Ubuntu doesn't have "it supports even the most uncommon/oddball hardware out there" like Windows does.
    Windows doesn't have that; Ubuntu does. The manufacturers support Windows, not the other way round. It's a crucial distinction. Uncommon/oddball hardware gets supported under Linux when someone has the itch to scratch of making it work, unless they're prevented from doing so by the secrecy or obfuscation by the manufacturer.

The upside is that once a piece of hardware is natively supported it's likely to remain supported for quite some time unlike some Windows hardware.
    Agreed.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12