Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does not detect all RAM

Beans

Does not detect all RAM

Hello, I just bought a laptop, asus D509DA, and for reasons of the software I am going to use, I have put another module of Ram, having a total of 8G. The BIOS detects 8G, but the system detects only 5.8G, leaving the rest for other functions that I don't know. Is the correct configuration of the equipment? Is it possible to modify the RAM allocation so that the computer uses its full potential?
    I have updated the BIOS to its latest version, and I don't see the possibility of touching that option.
    I have also obtained some results that may be helpful for the response. The system is Ubuntu 18:04.
    Attached photos

Thanks in any casememorias ram.jpgso.pngmemorias.png
    Last edited by daniel-pbt; December 27th, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Does not detect all RAM

The remaning is assigned as video RAM. You may or may not change it in BIOS/UEFI.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by daniel-pbt View Post
    The BIOS detects 8G, but the system detects only 5.8G, leaving the rest for other functions that I don't know. Is the correct configuration of the equipment?
    The various memory reporting tools show the amount of memory that is available to be allocated to the applications that want it. The memory space that the kernel itself uses (around 300 MB or so) cannot ever be allocated to other applications, so that would not be included. Memory space that is allocated to a graphics device (entirely dependent on your integrated graphics configuration) cannot also be allocated to an application, so that is not included.

Is it possible to modify the RAM allocation so that the computer uses its full potential?
    The optimal balance between how much of your RAM is allocated to your graphics device and how much is avaliable for general purposes depends entirely on how you're using your machine, and would generally be a setting in your BIOS if you're able to change it at all. Given that you've got a reasonably hefty graphics device in there it's going to need a fair chunk of video RAM allocated to work to its "full potential."

Beans

Just checking on what Catkiller and CelticWarrior said, I have a Dell with 16GBs of memory and nivida graphics card and my system reports between 15, 15.5 and 16GBs memory. The OPs numbers seem low. My numbers are reverse to the pictures the OP posted.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Just checking on what Catkiller and CelticWarrior said, I have a Dell with 16GBs of memory and nivida graphics card and my system reports between 15, 15.5 and 16GBs memory. The OPs numbers seem low. My numbers are reverse to the pictures the OP posted.
    Nvidia don't do integrated graphics. Dedicated cards (obviously) and Optimus setups have dedicated video RAM without having to share system memory. OP has a pretty standard ~200 MB used by the kernel and 2 GB used by their integrated Vega graphics by the looks of it.

Beans

I also have an older laptop with only integrated graphics(baytrail) has 8GB of memory and reads 7.7GB. Think all my laptops read all or very close to the installed memory, even the ones with slightly mis-match memory sticks. Only one has dedicated graphic card. Maybe vega graphics work differently, the only AMD laptop used the drivers supplied by ubuntu, The AMD driver was no longer supported.
    Last edited by crip720; December 28th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Dedicated cards (obviously) and Optimus setups have dedicated video RAM without having to share system memory.
    I don't think Optimus setups have dedicated VRAM. Don't quote me on that.

OP has a pretty standard ~200 MB used by the kernel and 2 GB used by their integrated Vega graphics by the looks of it.
    If it really is the GPU allocating that memory, allocating 2GB is a bad idea. It is better to allocate a smaller amount of RAM and let the OS dynamically allocate more as needed. Hopefully, there is a BIOS setting to change it. I know there is on my desktop (for example:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    I don't think Optimus setups have dedicated VRAM. Don't quote me on that.
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2010/0...-meet-optimus/

Optimus transfers the display surface from the GPU frame buffer over the PCI Express bus to the system memory-based frame buffer used by the IGP.

If it really is the GPU allocating that memory, allocating 2GB is a bad idea. It is better to allocate a smaller amount of RAM and let the OS dynamically allocate more as needed. Hopefully, there is a BIOS setting to change it. I know there is on my desktop (for example:
    OP asked what his RAM was being used for. That's what it's being used for. "Oh, but my completely different system behaves completely differently" is not helpful. From either of you.

It will be useful to the OP if their hardware allows them to configure the allocation more to their liking, of course, but we won't know if their machine will let them do that until they look for the setting and get back to us.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    OP asked what his RAM was being used for. That's what it's being used for. "Oh, but my completely different system behaves completely differently" is not helpful. From either of you.
    I beg to differ. I posted the screenshot as an example of what terminology a BIOS might use. I looked through the manual for the OP's model and it does not give a detailed description of the BIOS layout, so that was the best example I could provide. I thought it might be helpful to the OP because terminology of BIOS settings can be confusing (especially when different languages are involved). I probably should have given this link, but I didn't want to get too far ahead:
    https://www.techspot.com/article/157...ory-explainer/

Beans

Hello again. First of all, tell you that I thank you very much for your help on this topic. I am learning a lot from my new laptop.
    First of all I wanted to comment that my bios does not let me change the allocation of memory destined for the GPU. I have put two photos of the various possibilities in the menu that shows the BIOS.
    On the other hand, as I am understanding, it would be better to dedicate less RAM to VGA. I imagine that from the terminal it is only possible to check how the memory is assigned, but not to change the assignment. Therefore, it seems that I have to comply with my situation, until ASUS increases the options of the BIOS. It also occurs to me (I don't know if this is possible, or if it can be very complicated), that maybe it can be put another BIOS that is compatible, and that has that option.
    Thank you. 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 3.png (479.3 KB, 7 views)
    Last edited by daniel-pbt; December 29th, 2019 at 12:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast