Thread: Two users at the same time - one in background

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Two users at the same time - one in background

(Problem is solved)

When I am uploading large amounts of data to Google Drive, exactly at that moment my wife wants to check her email.
    When I logout, the upload is canceled and I have to restart the upload - situation Ubuntu 19.04.

Having two users logged-in at the same time was possible in 14.04 but I don't find it in 19.04.
    What do I need to change in the setup that this is possible again?
    Last edited by UBUminJ; December 28th, 2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Problem is solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Two users at the same time - one in background

Instead of logging out, if you lock the screen, then a second user can login from the locked screen.

Beans

Is this what you are after?
    Log out or switch users

To let other users use your computer, you can either log out, or leave yourself logged in and just switch users. If you switch users, all of your applications will continue running, and everything will be where you left it when you log back in.

To Log Out or Switch User, click the system menu on the right side of the top bar, click your name and then choose the correct option.

The Log Out and Switch User entries only appear in the menu if you have more than one user account on your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I do it all the time with Remmina. The vnc type connection goes with whomever is logged in but the rdp option lets you log in without affecting the other logged in user. Of course I do it from another remote machine but I don't think that matters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@DennisN
    > The Log Out and Switch User entries only appear in the menu if you have more than one user account on your system.
    I have two accounts, the administrator (my account) and a user account, but the switch user entry doesn't show up when clicking my name. This is why I asked.

@spjackson
    That does the trick.

Also thankyou to @cmcanulty. That sounds advanced.

I let it now with this because I am going to replace 19.04 with the next LTS (20.04) anyway. Let's see if this PC is still running then - a Dell Inspiron 530s from 2005?.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It is simple once set up. If you want the whole explanation I would be happy to post it.