Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating ubuntu bootable USB

Beans

Re: Creating ubuntu bootable USB

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Almost all new systems seem to still need UEFI & SSD firmware update.
    Often easier from Windows, but now a few systems can be updated directly from Linux. But have yet to see any motherboard manufacturers on list.

My UEFI can update directly from UEFI, if the downloaded update file is in a FAT32 formatted partition. I change permissions on my ESP, and use that. You can use a FAT32 formatted flash drive.
    SSD vendors often have their own software. Other ways are from Windows & from a DOS formatted bootable flash drive to run the .exe, but you still have update file separate.

Samsung used to hide the Linux update version under commercial updates, not consumer. Not sure now. Other vendors you will have to search.
    I've updated the BIOS to one of the newer versions (P3.40 from https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1...ex.es.asp#BIOS ). But the issue wasn't solved.

This is the screen I get, as can be seen, the only storage device available is the USB drive:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are drives set to AHCI in UEFI?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Are drives set to AHCI in UEFI?
    Hi. How can I check that?

however, I fixed it, someone in reddit told me how to fix it. I had installed my m.2 in the wrong slot, it turns out that my m.2 is sata, and I've used the m.2 NVMe slot. Now it works.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12