Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ubuntu Version?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: New Ubuntu Version?

No, you copied the files into the new directory.
    You need to unpack them here.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    No, you copied the files into the new directory.
    You need to unpack them here.
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I can put one together but as far as programming and technical stuff I'm just not good on. This is the first time in several months that I've actually turned my Linux machine on. It was giving problems and I just didn't have time to deal with it so I've just been using my windows 7 machine. It's made me lazy because I really enjoy Linux and learning new things about it. Is there an easy way to extract all of the files from the SD card and put them in the new file I created?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I can see that you are posting the same question in another thread so I am signing out here.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    I can see that you are posting the same question in another thread so I am signing out here.
    Yes,my apologies, I started that thread as soon as I got done installing the new xubuntu version. I'll go ahead and shut this one down and put the link to that thread here. I still haven't figured out what I need to do to get those files onto the new version yet. Maybe someone will be able to help me finish it up on that thread. Thanks for all the suggestions here, I appreciate it.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2433741

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

how is your fresh new Xubuntu 18.04 LTS doing? how is your backup folder doing? got your SD card switched to read-only?
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    how is your fresh new Xubuntu 18.04 LTS doing? how is your backup folder doing? got your SD card switched to read-only?
    Sorry for the delay, it's been kind of crazy around here the last couple of days. I like xubuntu so far although I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it. I'm still having the issue with the restoration of my backed up files. I posted that on another thread because this is not the appropriate sub-forum for support. I think it's just for chat only.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: New Ubuntu Version?

I would use 18.04 Ubuntu or any one of the other flavors. It's standard support is until April 2023.
    How is your new OS doing? I hope well..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bernard010 View Post
    I would use 18.04 Ubuntu or any one of the other flavors. It's standard support is until April 2023.
    How is your new OS doing? I hope well..
    It's doing fine, I actually like it quite well. I was never able to restore any of my home folder back so I lost everything and am starting over again. I'm not real happy about that but it's not the first time it's happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

data is still in compressed files.

you should unpack the files (e.g. right click and select "extract" to get the unpacked files). if duplicity has an option where it would guide you, you can do it through there.

this pic should explain it better: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/archive

btw have you ever looked at duplicati ? same back end as duplicity i believe, but a much nicer front end for the user.
    Last edited by mastablasta; 3 Days Ago at 03:08 PM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12