Re: xHE-AAC

ha cool
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

I confess that I could not warm to EAC but I knew that you were a big user . As for fdkaac.exe my memory was finally jogged and if you ever want to go a little deeper into the rabbit hole I have published a page a while back demonstrating how to cross compile fdkaac for Windows on a linux platform using MXE. The distro used is actually Slackware but the principles would be the same for Ubuntu:

https://www.andrews-corner.org/mxe.html

This way you can 'roll your own' without waiting for somebody to provide an updated copy. Mind you Slackware makes it all very easy...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

thanx will definitely try this

PS i do use slackware on my older machine too and worship it but Ubuntu still on my main and will try on U

EDIT

tried the guide on MXE on Ubuntu and rolled my own fdkaac.exe 32 bit for my EAC [tried stupidly 20 times with the downloaded one only to finally realize it was a 64-bit der!]
    AS all your guides worked a treat
    Thanx

on EAC

Code:
    -p 29 -b 39 -a
    gives you a

Code:
    Writing application                      : fdkaac 1.0.0, libfdk-aac 4.0.0, CBR 38kbps

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AAC LC SBR PS
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication and Parametric Stereo
    Commercial name                          : HE-AACv2
    happy with that
    Last edited by shantiq; August 3rd, 2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: tested now
    ShanArt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    [...]tried the guide on MXE on Ubuntu and rolled my own fdkaac.exe 32 bit for my EAC
    AS all your guides worked a treat [...]
    That is excellent news . My colleagues on HydrogenAudio have demonstrated that binaries compiled as native Windows applications using Windows compilers tend to be a little faster than the binaries produced by MXE from a native Linux host. But there is a greater joy in rolling your own Windows executables for sure, rather than trustingly downloading somebody else's efforts, and MXE can be a lot of fun!

Good to hear that EAC is firing ahead with your fdkaac.exe, you certainly are the source of knowledge on EAC running on Linux. There appears to still be audio CDs and interest in them in places, it will be sad when this technology has slowly faded away. My own investment of time and effort in audio CDs has decreased somewhat but I have recently purchased a USB3 external DVD burner so that I can experiment a little with exhale and abcde. Not out of the box yet but next rainy weekend I will start at it.

And as an aside: it is good to talk to you again! UbuntuForums seems to have subsided a little from busier days but it is nice to 'see' old friends again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

native Windows applications using Windows compilers tend to be a little faster than the binaries produced by MXE from a native Linux host
    Fair dues

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post

And as an aside: it is good to talk to you again! UbuntuForums seems to have subsided a little from busier days but it is nice to 'see' old friends again

Totally. Not sure what happened. It all went dead[-ish] at one point. Was more vibrant a few years ago it seems

Thanx for all the tips Andrew

shan

PS and yes under Wine all these currently active

Last edited by shantiq; August 3rd, 2020 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added pic
    ShanArt

Beans

I have just now updated the xHE-AAC patch to cover the latest git abcde and tested it all out and it ran very, very nicely! Also I have added an ~/.abcde.conf file for xHE-AAC:

~/.abcde.conf for AAC: Exhale
    https://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde...ac.html#exhale

My colleagues on hydrogenaudio tell me that playback under Linux is possible with RhythmBox if gstreamer plugin is compiled against fdkaac. I have not tried this as I am not really a GStreamer sort of guy, still waiting for FFmpeg to come to the party.

I am aware that my enthusiasm for exhale and xHE-AAC encoding is not widespread, but I still feel that it is so exciting to get in at the beginning with Open Source xHE-AAC encoding .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have just now updated the xHE-AAC patch to cover the latest git abcde and tested it all out and it ran very, very nicely! Also I have added an ~/.abcde.conf file for xHE-AAC:

~/.abcde.conf for AAC: Exhale
    https://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde...ac.html#exhale

My colleagues on hydrogenaudio tell me that playback under Linux is possible with RhythmBox if gstreamer plugin is compiled against fdkaac. I have not tried this as I am not really a GStreamer sort of guy, still waiting for FFmpeg to come to the party.

I am aware that my enthusiasm for exhale and xHE-AAC encoding is not widespread, but I still feel that it is so exciting to get in at the beginning with Open Source xHE-AAC encoding .

thanx Andrew will give it a whirl
    ShanArt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    thanx Andrew will give it a whirl
    Interestingly enough it looks like the next version of Ubuntu has already done this:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/hirsute/gstreamer1.0-fdkaac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Oh no not there yet .... what am i to do with the patch? I probably did not understand what it is i should do with it Andrew

this is what i did
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x abcde_USAC.diff
    then
    Code:
    sudo mv abcde_USAC.diff /usr/bin
    clearly not the right thing to do .... do i need to copy parts of the patch into /usr/bin/abcde ... that does not seem right either .... please kindly enlighten

my version of abcde is abcde v2.9.4-DEV.

#whatdididowrongthistime ?
    Last edited by shantiq; March 9th, 2021 at 05:21 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans

If you modified abcde before (by patching for exhale) there is nothing more required, the newer patch does not add anything different than the previous patch, just lines are changed to follow git head.

If you are using the latest version of exhale you might want to experiment with the newer presets:

Code:
     preset	=  # (0-9)  low-complexity standard compliant xHE-AAC at 16*#+48 kbit/s
     	     (a-g)  low-complexity compliant xHE-AAC with SBR at 12*#+36 kbit/s
    I have not looked at the SBR options yet. Neither have a I looked at the options for LUFS and dBFS in part because I have no idea what these options even mean

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast