Thread: Add executable to Favorite bar

Beans

Add executable to Favorite bar

Hello,
    I want accelerate access to a framework that I've just installed.
    The executable is not in the list of applications.
    How to proceed ?
    Thanks.

Beans

Re: Add executable to Favorite bar

You do not identify your OS, so suggestions here would be just guesswork. Please provide OS name and release. For example: Ubuntu MATE 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to copy the .desktop file that launches the "framework" to `~.local/share/applications'. Then, it will appear in the menu for the current user. To make the program available for all users of the system, copy the .desktop file to '/usr/local/share/applications'.

If your application does not come with a .desktop file (i.e., a launcher), then you can create one your self. A launcher is a text file containing instructions on how to launch the program and display it in the application menu. See for example [rl=http://xmodulo.com/create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-linux.html]here[/url] for instructions on how to create a launcher yourself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    You do not identify your OS, so suggestions here would be just guesswork. Please provide OS name and release. For example: Ubuntu MATE 18.04
    NAME="Ubuntu"
    VERSION="18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
    ID=ubuntu
    ID_LIKE=debian
    PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS"
    VERSION_ID="18.04"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    You need to copy the .desktop file that launches the "framework" to `~.local/share/applications'. Then, it will appear in the menu for the current user. To make the program available for all users of the system, copy the .desktop file to '/usr/local/share/applications'.

If your application does not come with a .desktop file (i.e., a launcher), then you can create one your self. A launcher is a text file containing instructions on how to launch the program and display it in the application menu. See for example [rl=http://xmodulo.com/create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-linux.html]here[/url] for instructions on how to create a launcher yourself.
    I've tried it. Here is content of .desktop file (that I created) in ~/.local/share/applications:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Comment=ModusToolbox
    Terminal=False
    Name=ModusToolbox
    Exec=~/P-ModusToolbox_2.0.0.1703-linux-install/ModusToolbox/ide_2.0/eclipse/ModusToolbox
    Type=Application
    Icon=~/P-ModusToolbox_2.0.0.1703-linux-install/ModusToolbox/ide_2.0/eclipse/icon.xpm
    StartupWMClass=Eclipse

Doesn't work - ModulToolbox doesn't appear in application pool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Replace "~" by the full path of your home directory.

Beans

Thanks !!!