Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simplecom NW602 problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Simplecom NW602 problems

Thanks for that, praseodym. Ran the command you gave, rebooted, and I'm using the NW602 and surfing heavily to see if/when it stops working. So far, so good. Still going after about ten minutes. (Make that 36 minutes.)

Getting late here so will try it tomorrow while streaming something on the Raspberry Pi/TV at the same time and see if it keeps working without a conflict and consistently for a few hours before marking as solved. Cheers.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 23rd, 2019 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just tried this morning and as soon as I switched on my computer and tried to open a new webpage, the stream my wife was watching on the RPi in the other room stopped and so webpages stopped opening on my computer. Don't know what's going on here, but I've un-blacklisted the driver for my old wifi dongle and am using that. I've ordered the NW611, which is known to work with Linux, but any further suggestions re. the NW602 more than welcome.

My mistake for buying the NW602 in the first place, even if it was by accident.

* Just to add to this, got a Youtube vid going on one of my other computers which uses the AC band whilst streaming something on the Raspberry Pi to the TV using ethernet cable. No issues half an hour later. So ... It appears to definitely be some conflict with running the NW602 which is bringing things to a grinding halt and not specific to using the AC band and streaming from the RPi at the same time. Truly befuddling, at least to me, as the NW602 is wireless AC and the Raspberry Pi is running on an ethernet cable. An anomaly.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 25th, 2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Edit for clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Check, if all MAC addresses are allowed. Deactivate the MAC filter in your router settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You can disable power management for the module of the problem wifi dongle
    Code:
    echo "options 8821cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/8821cu.conf
    Reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks to you all for your continued support with this. Much appreciated.

Whilst looking at the router settings, I noticed something. I run my devices using static IP addresses and the static IP address of the Raspberry Pi is 192.168.0.7. The static IP on the 2.4Ghz band of the computer I was having issues with is 192.168.0.5, but ... when setting up the static IP for the 5Ghz SSID on the problem computer, I'd set it to 192.168.0.7, same as the Raspberry Pi!!!

All I've done so far is correct that error and set the 5Ghz connection on the computer to 192.168.0.5 and I'll run some more detailed experiments on things tomorrow (getting late here and watching cricket), but I have a feeling that is going to solve the problem.

It probably explains why I could get a Youtube clip going for twenty minutes today using a different AC connected computer while streaming on the RPi without issue: they weren't both trying to use the same static IP address.

The matching static IP issue would explain a lot, including why my computer still falls in a heap even when nothing is streaming on the RPi. The RPi is always on so it is always using the 192.168.0.7 address and my computer was trying to use it, too.

Will get back after cricket and sleep, hopefully with some good news.

Thanks again.

PS: I also set the 5Ghz SSID on the router to 'AC only' rather than 'mixed b/g/n/ac'. That isn't the problem I wouldn't think, but can't hurt.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 24th, 2019 at 04:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, I think my oversight has led us on a goose chase since post #4. Sorry about that. Reckon things were right then, except for the fact I'd used the same static IP address on the computer as on the Raspberry Pi. (In fact, if I'd have noticed the static IP conflict, may have been solved by post #2.)

After changing the IP on the computer last night, I used it for about an hour with no issues and the RPi has been streaming and I've been using my computer for a couple of hours today with no issues, no conflicts, and I'm getting better than ever speeds on the computer. So, as far as I can see, solved. I will mark it that way (and 'unsolve' it and get back to this thread if there is a hiccough with the AC dongle again).

Just a note: before I'd figured out the conflicting IP issue I un-blacklisted the driver for my other dongle so I could get back online and that is still unblacklisted and not causing any issues. Means I can use either the Simpletoncom NW602 AC600 dongle or the older wifi dongle if I ever need to. Which hopefully I won't.

Cheers and thanks to all for your help.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 25th, 2019 at 07:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12