Thread: [20.04] Can't login to Ubuntu only Wayland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[20.04] Can't login to Ubuntu only Wayland

So I downloaded 20.04 in a VM just to see how it looks and what I'm expecting for when the big day comes . When I try to login it authenticates but then sends me back to the login screen, I have to change my desktop option from ubuntu to ubuntu with wayland. Is anyone else having this problem and how do you solve it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [20.04] Can't login to Ubuntu only Wayland

This often means old settings disturbing the new upgrade. Try cleaning the system via autoremove / bleachbit (as root) first , then test again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This was a clean install, but I did do a autoremove and the problem still persisted. Also when I try to login with just normal gnome and login to wayland I have to log out and log back in, just to get wayland again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Resolved the issue, this was a kvm problem the video adapter doesn't play well on gnome on the default one which is QXL. I switched it to Virtio and all is working as expected. Chalk this up to human error and lack of experience

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Great news!

Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to other users with the same problem searching the forum.

Beans

Hello, I had the same problem. I created a new VirtualBox machine and installed Ubuntu 20.04 , but after reboot, on login screen, I put my login credentials, and it sent me back to the login screen.
    So I read that you tried to change to Wayland option, and it worked. But, is it correct? Why doesnt work on Gnome normal?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sergiomc1978 View Post
    Hello, I had the same problem. I created a new VirtualBox machine and installed Ubuntu 20.04 , but after reboot, on login screen, I put my login credentials, and it sent me back to the login screen.
    So I read that you tried to change to Wayland option, and it worked. But, is it correct? Why doesnt work on Gnome normal?
    Thanks.
    Please read post #4 as well.