Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20.04 Snaps

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: 20.04 Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    First thing I do is uninstall snaps.
    But then I also install chromium and now it only is available as a snap.
    If you are interested in Chromium "testing," you can get it from here. I use it in few Linuxes and in Windows. No problem whatsoever.

Beans

The only problem I have with Chromium snap and Firefox snap is that the gnome-shell integration doesn't work (at least as of now*). You can install the browser extension, but the "native host connector" (I think that would be chrome-gnome-shell) fails to connect. So this convenient feature is not available.

*Error Message: "Although GNOME Shell integration extension is running, native host connector is not detected."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I want to emphasize the point Fred made that to get applications to show on the Gnome desktop (at least with 18.04) you install the gnome-tweaks package, enable desktop icons, then copy the application's .desktop file into the user's Desktop folder under ~/home. There are several locations where an app's .desktop file may be found, but most of them will be in /usr/share/applications. Possibly ~/home/.local/applications.

Once placed in the user's desktop folder, open the icon's properties window and make sure execute permissions are enabled.

The application's icon probably won't show when first placed on the desktop, but clicking on it will open a dialog warning this is not "trusted" and asking you to confirm you want to launch it. The icon should display normally after being "trusted."
    regards

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I believe I used tweak tool to add icons, but that only added home & trash.

I think I used this to find desktop icons & add to desktop in 20.04.
    http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-19-10/
    That link is about GNOME Shell. Are you really using GNOME Flashback (you mentioned fallback and gnome-panel...)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@muktupavels

You are correct & oldfred is wrong.
    I had this:
    fred@fred-z97-focal:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    gnome-classic

Installed gnome-panel which includes flashback & other dependencies. Reboot & changed login.
    Then I was able to move icons to top panel. Have not tried much else yet.

fred@fred-z97-focal:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    gnome-flashback-metacity
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldfred; December 25th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

having read this thread I found it very interesting that at last Desktop icons are back in ubuntu flashback!

I have upgraded from 19.10 to 20.04 and: i) no snap packages were installed during the upgrade (I did not have any during 19.10) ii) flashback has desktop icons (!), yet, since experimental, not all of the options are working while doing right click: for example the grid option is not working, yet Desktop icons are functional.

I should mention that a snap package was installed while upgrading from 19.04 to 19.10 and specifically chromium at that time, which was also interrupting the upgrade of my system (the upgrade took place prior to official schedule though).

Also, I cannot see the usb flash icon on Desktop, when I plug in a usb devide, so in order to safely remove it, I have to do so via nautilus. I guess that this should be a future aspect(?).

Thank you muktupavels!

Regards!

Beans
    Distro

Claus7, open upstream issue for things that does not work - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-flashback/issues. And yes, currently only "auto arrange icons" placement mode is implemented.

Beans
    Distro

Installed from last ISO Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Alpha amd64 (20200227) preinstalled snap gnome-calculator, gnome-characters, gnome-system-monitor are now preinstalled as .deb
    Code:
    corrado@corrado-p3-ff-0227:~/Desktop$ which gnome-calculator gnome-characters gnome-system-monitor
    /usr/bin/gnome-calculator
    /usr/bin/gnome-characters
    /usr/bin/gnome-system-monitor
    corrado@corrado-p3-ff-0227:~/Desktop$
    Code:
    corrado@corrado-p3-ff-0227:~/Desktop$ snap list
    Name               Version           Rev   Tracking         Publisher   Notes
    core               16-2.43.3         8689  latest/stable    canonical✓  core
    core18             20200124          1668  latest/stable    canonical✓  base
    gnome-3-34-1804    0+git.220fb1f     5     latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
    gtk-common-themes  0.1-28-g1503258   1440  latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
    snap-store         20200225.15bed0a  288   latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12