Thread: Wifi works on some distros and not others and I can't find the common denominator

Beans

Wifi works on some distros and not others and I can't find the common denominator

Hi, at my university, there's a WiFi connection process that involves putting in your username and password in a PEAP protocol and it works just fine when I have tried it with a ParrotOS live CD. Similarly, it works just fine if I use Qubes. But when I have tried to use Xubuntu, Ubuntu, etc., it simply doesn't connect. It won't even allow me to put in the username and password.
    The IT people insist that it is not necessary to use a certificate on this network, but if I click "Use CA certificate" on the network manager's settings, it does allow me to enter my credentials, but it will not allow me to connect because there's no actual certificate. When I use those other distros, I can click "use CA certificate" without actually giving it a certificate, so that's why I think it lets me connect.

This is clearly a software issue, but I don't know how to resolve it.
    I can use other WiFi neworks. It's only the school's WiFi that causes a problem. Because it won't allow me to put in the password, I can't even connect to the school's internet with an ethernet cable.

Possibly relevant: there's a network for guests at the school that you can use with just a password and no username. I can connect to that network with any distro without any problems.

Anyway, I'm pretty lost on this. Any advice?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Wifi works on some distros and not others and I can't find the common denominator

On an unrelated note, I very rarely hang out in this forum, but I was still a little salty when I saw that all of my stuff had been deleted during some update of this site lol
    As you can see, I've had an account since 2015, but I think I've actually had an account on this site since before 2008. No big deal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Wifi works on some distros and not others and I can't find the common denominator

You haven't given any release info on your OSes; I don't know Parrot/Qubes but the difference could just be different ages of kernels (thus kernel modules or drivers) let alone configuration differences. We cannot know what releases/versions are involved and if this is a factor from the little you provided.

As for your account(s) on forum, my initial account (guiverc) was created before my current one (guiverc2) but I no longer had real access to it's email account, so I opted to delete my older account & have my 'guiverc2' renamed to 'guiverc' (my preferred handle). Your likewise could have two accounts - your other account could still exist.