Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disappointed by Ubuntu 18

Beans

disappointed by Ubuntu 18

I have been using default Ubuntu 16 (with Unity) for over a year, was quite happy and decided to buy a XPS-13 laptop with 18 preinstalled.

For a few weeks now I have been using Ubuntu 18 (+Gnome), and am extremely disappointed by the regressions I stumble across.

for example,

- In Nautilus, when I toggle the sidebar (F9), this affects all Nautilus instances
    - when I save files, I ALWAYS have to navigate to a folder where I save the previous file in the same application
    - I can no longer create a shortcut (ctrl-M) in Nautilus
    - in Evince, the menu items are not highlighted (F10). this happens in all applications, it's a window manager issue I guess. Switching to another theme is no solution. and why do I have to separately install the Tweaks app???
    - the Image Viewer does not react to spacebar, I have to use arrow right.
    - I enabled Pointer Location (ctrl) - this worked for a few minutes, then some other settings broke this forever.
    - Snap is a disaster, good for the most basic use only. I am stopping to use Snap to install applications because almost all of them are outdated and partly broken.
    - in Tweaks I was able to add 'xclock' as a login app (just for testing, mind you), and now can't do that any more (I can remove it only)??? some update changed this possibilty. but now I can add "logout" and "reboot" (among others) instead...

(And what is Amazon doing in my applications?? Is Amazon financing Ubuntu? but that is a digression.)

I would expect 18 to be an improvement over 16, but it is NOT. And when I read that upgrading has risks (ok, I can understand that), I have started wondering what value Ubuntu can still offer to me.

Ubuntu (18), this is a shame.

I don't think much can be done about this - what I am tempted to call - mess. It feels as if Ubuntu is in fact a message to start looking elsewhere.

I truely hope this is a temporary situation, but seeing that Ubuntu 18 exists for a while now, it looks like my problems will never be solved in 18.

-alex

Beans

Re: disappointed by Ubuntu 18

- In Nautilus , icon mode, I cannot extend the selection via keyboard (SHIFT+cursor).
    - when I delete a file in icon mode, the focus disappears and I have to select another file. I would have expected focus to shift to the next file instead. in list mode this still works fine.
    - this extension mode DOES work when using the mouse.
    - in icon mode, there is a strange behaviour when navigating the icons by using the keyboard. for example enable icon mode, enter a subdirectory, leave it (ALT up), then hit arrow right to select the next directory: nothing happens, the next arrow right selects the the first item in the current directory instead. obviously a bug.

all this gives the impression that Ubuntu developers have forgotten the art of the keyboard, otherwise they would have corrected this long ago.
    Last edited by axd1967; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:07 PM. Reason: grmbl

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Unity was created because Canonical had hoped to have a unified environment for phones, tablets, netbooks, and the desktop. That all fell through and maintaining Unity just for the desktop was unsustainable, so they went back to Gnome; Gnome 2 had been Ubuntu's default environment before Unity.

Gnome 3 makes questionable choices, and the devs are allergic to users being able to configure things. Gnome 3 has been made considerably better as a result of Ubuntu putting in effort, but the products of that are in releases later than 18.04.

You can still use Unity in 18.04, but it's now maintained by the community rather than Canonical. Or one of the many other desktop environments.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

It is possible to install Unity on 18.04 , but the changes in Gnome applications and features are changes made by Gnome Developers and they are on going. See the flavors link in my signature for other Desktop options.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by axd1967 View Post

(And what is Amazon doing in my applications?? Is Amazon financing Ubuntu? but that is a digression.)
    I don't understand why so many people make such big deal out of this. It takes one command to get rid of Amazon if you don't like it there.

Little bit of funding goes a long way in open source world. Now, I am not saying that linux distros should be full of bloatware and adware. But just one app ? How bad that can be ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And just for clarity, nobody here works for Canonical. Everyone here is a community volunteer. Canonical developers seldom, if ever, come here.

In Linux distributions, the vast majority of programs used are created with defaults setup by the developers on another team, not Canonical. Gnome is one of those projects. https://www.gnome.org/ You can join the team: https://www.gnome.org/get-involved/

Canonical tried to make Gnome3 useable and for many people, it is and they LOVE it. That is an extremely personal thing. We all have different tastes. Seems they missed what you would have liked, what CatKiller and what I would like. That's fine. Can't please everyone.

Fortunately, the GUI isn't the OS with any Unix OS. It is just a layer that can be swapped as you like. You can choose from 20+ different GUIs if you don't like the one that arrived. There are many people who complained that Canonical didn't use the Gnome3 DE like all the other major distros do for years. Now that the default DE for Ubuntu is Gnome3, other people are complaining.

If you want to complain, that's fine.

If you actually want suggestions to solve any specific issue, it is best to create a thread for each and clearly say - Ubuntu 18.04, Gnome3 DE, Fully patched as of DD-MM-YY date, then describe what you want from which specific program. Many times, it is just a different way to accomplish what you desire, but not always.

If you choose a different DE trying to solve the most issues, let the thread know. Every DE has different behavior, so trying a few is worth your time if you are picky. To save a little time, perhaps youtube videos of the different Ubuntu flavors would let you quickly see how each behaves.

I recall when MS-Win7 was new, the ZDNet team went to a mall in Australia and was showing off KDE, but told them it was Win7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIgEFIv5MI Normal people don't know the difference and looking for 2 minutes isn't sufficient to really understand how an OS or even a DE will work for you. It takes a little time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Canonical tried to make Gnome3 useable and for many people, it is and they LOVE it. That is an extremely personal thing. We all have different tastes. Seems they missed what you would have liked, what CatKiller and what I would like. That's fine. Can't please everyone.
    For the record, Gnome could have whatever defaults they thought were best, and you'd hear barely a grumble from me. They want to make the volume control go in 6% increments? Fine. They want to make Minesweeper black-and-white while people are getting displays that can do 1,073,741,824 colours? OK.

What rubs me up the wrong way is that they remove basic options and configurability. They had a means to configure the increment on the volume control, but they took it out. They had a Minesweeper theme that had colours, but they took it out. You used to be able to have icons on the desktop, but they took it out. To recover all sorts of basic functionality you have to install random extensions that no one's going to discover, and that could be doing all kinds of sketchy things for all the user knows. That and client-side-decorations, that turn every application into a GeoCities page and destroy any prospect of having a unified themed desktop, are why I don't think Gnome should be used by anyone, but especially by people that are exploring Linux for the first time.

Beans

The issue here is that Ubuntu 18 is a major regression. I still can't understand why - for example - an application such as Nautilus now won't dsplay the date column when searching for files.

Kinetic scrolling is probably an example of where Ubuntu wants to head: notebooks.

And I wonder - what would happen if I disabled the "Touchpad" toggle? would I stlll be able to re-enabled it? Because I tried the keyboard, I see no way how to reach that control via the keyboard only.

Sorry to be so grumpy, but every day I discover new bad issues in UBuntu 18. I wonder why I forled out 1500$ for a Dell XPS-13 with this OS installed...

(edit added: in Nautilus one cannot even drag&drop ICONS between two windows?)
    Last edited by axd1967; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:20 PM. Reason: grmlb!!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by axd1967 View Post
    I wonder why I forled out 1500$ for a Dell XPS-13 with this OS installed...
    Your complaints haven't been about the OS, they've been about the desktop environment. Use a different one. There are many to choose from. KDE and Cinnamon have both been great on my XPS13.

Beans
    Distro

Axd- I tend to agree with you about Gnome-I was never able to get on with it from Gnome 1. I have used KDE ever since weaning myself off of Windows in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

KDE can be frustrating purely because of the bewildering array of configuration options. KDE were the first with multiple desktops, then they changed it around and made multiple desktops in multiple activities. Some zealots in KDE in their wisdom decided to cripple Dolphin by removing root options, it still is far and away the best file manager in Linux. Reluctantly after 2 years they conceded defeat and re-enabled it.

All these developers give freely of their expertise and time, for which we should be eternally grateful. Sometimes they make erroneous decisions, don't we all? They are only human and we all make mistakes.

I suggest you give Kubuntu a try, after a few weeks with the plasma desktop you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

Best regards, Tony.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:55 PM.
    Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic & win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.29
    Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10 Homerun dual netwk tuner 55¨ Samsung ES8000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast