Thread: is this computer very linux compatible? i plan to buy the hebrew keyboard version

Beans

is this computer very linux compatible? i plan to buy the hebrew keyboard version

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: is this computer very linux compatible? i plan to buy the hebrew keyboard version

The only thing that stands out as potentially iffy is
    Soundcard Conexant CX11880 @ Intel Cannon Point-LP PCH - cAVS (Audio, Voice, Speech)
    Everything else seems fine. Intel graphics are fine, it's not got a weird resolution, LAN is LAN, and Intel WiFi tends to be fine. I have no idea if the fingerprint reader will work.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Re: is this computer very linux compatible? i plan to buy the hebrew keyboard version

tnx very much
    is the "Soundcard Conexant CX11880 @ Intel Cannon Point-LP PCH - cAVS (Audio, Voice, Speech)" can cause problems?
    if yes, like what? (in simple english please!)

in case i'm interested in buying a different laptop. which computer do you reccomend?
    i prefer a computer not made in china. but if it is a problem -- then, no problem iguess

is this article covers it well enough?
    https://makeawebsitehub.com/best-laptops-linux/

Beans
    Distro

I don't know for sure that it will have any trouble. I haven't had any real sound issues under Linux - with onboard sound or external devices - but that looks like exactly the kind of "value add" thing that's full of quirks and non-standard behaviour that needs to be worked around.

My laptop (an xps 13) came with Ubuntu pre-installed, so I'm mostly basing trouble spots on the kinds of problems people seek help with here. The xps 13 was entirely painless but is a bit on the expensive side for many.

Beans

:d

Beans

is there a xps 13 with a bigger screen or something like that?
    i think that what i currently have is 15 inches and i like it that way.
    does 13 inches will be much smaller?

Beans
    Distro

The xps 13 has a 13 inch screen. There is an xps 15 with a 15 inch screen. You can find which of Dell's models come with Ubuntu pre-installed by looking for either "Project Sputnik," which was their internal name for putting Linux on their computers, or "Developer Edition," which is how they're marketed. I understand they've got quite a few now, but it started with the xps 13.

There are other manufacturers that pre-install Linux, like System76, if you'd like an alternative to Dell.

A useful thing to do is to check the components of whichever laptop you're interested in against those that have Linux pre-installed; you'll know that whatever part can definitely be made to work with Linux if someone's already done it and is selling it.

The likely trouble spots are those I highlighted in the first post: wifi, sound and weird resolutions. I would personally avoid Optimus (integrated Intel graphics paired with dedicated Nvidia graphics). It can be made to work, but is generally a pain. Nvidia is fine on the desktop but integrated Intel or integrated AMD on a laptop is much easier.