Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asus laptop disabled WiFi (hard blocked)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Asus laptop disabled WiFi (hard blocked)

Check, if Windows shuts down the card when shutting down

Beans

First thing, thank you all for your interest. It's very important to me that I manage to turn on WiFi on Ubuntu.
    I've tried everything but I haven't been able to turn it on yet. In a nutshell, WiFi works flawlessly on Windows 10 installed on an internal SSD, but doesn't work on Xubuntu (14.04, 16.04, 18.04) installed on an external HDD. The green light is off, there's no external switch and the hardware switch Fn+F2 does nothing.

In the latest days I tried the following:
    - I disabled fast boot and secure boot from BIOS. Nothing changed.
    - I updated the BIOS. Nothing changed.
    - I performed a fresh installation of Xubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 18.04. Still got anything.
    - I tried to install the rt3290 driver instead of the in-built rt2800, but it looks like that this driver isn't supported by kernels following 4.8.

I could try to remove the WiFi card but it would imply disassembling my laptop since it's not accessible from its trapdoor, and I doubt this way would be effective since on Windows it does work.

Check, if Windows shuts down the card when shutting down
    How could I check it?

Beans

This may be useful: when I boot into the Ubuntu live USB (for installation or testing purposes) WiFi is disabled as well. I'm convincing myself that, for this reason, it's the BIOS that's causing it all, but I think I've checked everything I could and I don't know where to look further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    I'd really wish there was another way, apart from acting on the wireless card, because it requires completely disassembling my laptop (something I've never done), but I'm afraid I'll have to give up and take a chance disassembling it.

I've bought a wireless USB adapter so as to plug it in the USB port when I need to connect to WiFi, but after having compiled its driver and installed the device I can't connect to WiFi because the network manager says "Wi-Fi disabled by hardware switch". How is it possible? I'm not even relying on the wireless card!

Beans

I apologize for spamming.
    Update: I installed Xubuntu 14.04 LTS and after installing the RT3290 driver as suggested by praseodym here (which wasn't possible on Xubuntu 18.04 and 16.04 due to the different kernel - or this is what I think) I can connect to WiFi through the USB adapter, but not through the wireless card since the latter doesn't find any available network (on the contrary, the USB adapter do!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123