Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked Package Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Locked Package Manager

Hello everyone, please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything.
    Less than a a week ago I updated the distro from 19.10 to 20.04 (on a spare laptop) and I check daily for updates, so I basically keep a "rolling development version" of vanilla Ubuntu.
    BUT.
    When I run "apt update" I always get this error message: "E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 51149 (packagekitd) - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 51149 (packagekitd) - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)".

The PID is always different, I just type "kill xxxx" and apt starts working again perfectly. My guess is that it is Ubuntu Software trying to automate something which I'd like to do manually. Am I correct in this assumption? Is there a way to keep Ubuntu Software from respawning itself, forcing me every time to kill its PID? Or is it something different altogether?

Thanks in advance to you all,

Arkeo
    Last edited by arkeo; December 15th, 2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Fixed some spelling mistakes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Daily iso's are uploaded

That message is most often associated with having two package management tools open at the same time. An example would be updating via the terminal while the software updater is starting up or running.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Locked Package Manager

I have had same issue.
    As soon as you boot, it checks for updates.

But in some of the slow boot threads, they change daily timer.
    https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/shor...-service/12297
    This is Debian bug #844453. apt-daily.service shouldn't be run during boot
    in /etc/systemd/system/apt-daily.timer.d/override.conf
    /etc/systemd/system

https://askubuntu.com/questions/8004...-daily-service
    sudo systemctl edit apt-daily.timer
    q
    # apt-daily timer configuration override
    [Timer]
    OnBootSec=15min
    OnUnitActiveSec=1d
    AccuracySec=1h
    RandomizedDelaySec=30min
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried opening Ubuntu Software just to check the settings. Same Error msg.

How many package managers are running at the same time???

Synaptic is NOT running.
    Ubuntu Software is NOT running.
    APT is NOT running.

Very Win10-like...
    Last edited by ajgreeny; December 17th, 2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Non "family friendly" language removed.

Beans
    Hidden!

But "unattended-upgrades" might be; if you really want to upgrade everything manually yourself you can remove that with
    Code:
    sudo apt remove unattended-upgrades
    which I always do, preferring to know exactly what is happening, and when.

Please note I have edited your post removing language which is not "family friendly"; please keep your posts free from this in future.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks ajgreeny! I'll try that!
    My apologies for my language not being family friendly--it was just frustration... Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The problem seems to be gone with the latest updates (since a week or so): I don't have to kill any process keeping the whatever/it/is locked. apt update and apt upgrade always work now, which I much prefer to Ubuntu Software and its related Updater. BTW, the packages installed by UbSoft and those installed by APT are different, right? For example, VLC from UbSoft should be a snap/flat or one of those newfangled packages, while if I install it via APT it should be the same old thing I learnt in college oh-so-many years ago, correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes

But I turn snaps off totally.
    And then when I installed Chromium, it installed a snap. They say it will only be available as a snap.
    But there still are ppa where you can still get a .deb version.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

BTW, the packages installed by UbSoft and those installed by APT are different, right?
    Ubsoft, which I guess means Ubuntu Software, installs all, apt, flatpak and snap.
    By default it always installs apt packages , but can install snaps and flatpaks if the additional plugins for those are also installed first.
    (Ubuntu ships with the snap plugin, but not the flatpak plugin.)

The devil is in the Details, literally, as to which package type is being installed in Ubuntu Software.
    Packages tell where they come from in the source entry in the Package's Software Details listing.
    (typically you have to scroll down to see the Details section of the package on the package's Ubuntu Software Homepage)

(All snaps come from the Snap Store. Flatpak's come from places typically like flathub, but aren't restricted to just that, there are other flatpak repos,
    and apt depends on various apt repositories but typically show as from the current in-use release and the archive, so it'd show up as something like focal-universe)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    But I turn snaps off totally.
    Very interesting! How do you do that?

I admit SW packages is a very interesting concept in the fragmented Linux world (but of course, it has been already fragmented as well... ) but not mature yet to my tastes. I'd much rather stick to apt-get (well, just apt now)... Just my 2 ¢...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast